85 tercel - high temp gauge

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
reebs

85 tercel - high temp gauge

Post by reebs »

I recently rebuilt my head because of a blown valve and burning oil (probably because I overheated it). Since the rebuild it still burns oil but doesn't seem to be as much. Also the temp gauge is always at around 3/4 which I thought was pretty high. I replace the thermostat, gaskets, and radiator temp switch. The radiator is 1 or 2 years old so pretty new and same with the water pump. Should I replace the temp gauge sensor or try another radiator cap?

Does anyone have any suggestions what could be giving me such a high temp reading.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 85 tercel - high temp gauge

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

reebs wrote:I recently rebuilt my head because of a blown valve and burning oil (probably because I overheated it). Since the rebuild it still burns oil but doesn't seem to be as much. Also the temp gauge is always at around 3/4 which I thought was pretty high. I replace the thermostat, gaskets, and radiator temp switch. The radiator is 1 or 2 years old so pretty new and same with the water pump. Should I replace the temp gauge sensor or try another radiator cap?

Does anyone have any suggestions what could be giving me such a high temp reading.
Is your electric fan working properly? When you rebuilt the head, where the coolant passages cleaned properly? Are you sure you put the right thermostat in? It could be a problem with the guage, but I think it is unlikely.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
reebs

Post by reebs »

I believe so, after I run the car for a while idling the fan kicks on for a few seconds and then kicks off. When we rebuilt the head I am not sure if the cooling passages where cleaned because my grandfather did that part.

Is there anyway I can check to make sure that coolant is actually flowing properly. I thought I read somewhere that you could open the radiator cap when cool and start the engine and allow it to warm up and watch the coolant to see if it lowers. Is that correct?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

reebs wrote:I believe so, after I run the car for a while idling the fan kicks on for a few seconds and then kicks off. When we rebuilt the head I am not sure if the cooling passages where cleaned because my grandfather did that part.

Is there anyway I can check to make sure that coolant is actually flowing properly. I thought I read somewhere that you could open the radiator cap when cool and start the engine and allow it to warm up and watch the coolant to see if it lowers. Is that correct?
i've had bad luck with thermostats on these cars
the common (less expensive) brand called "stat" or something that we have around here has not worked well. the beck / arnley (more expensive ) has saved the day several times.
the only other thing that has caused them to run warn is a head gasket leaking exhaust into the coolant.
it's hard to watch the water flow on these radiators because of the offset fill hole
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
JOE
Advanced Member

Post by JOE »

I had a problem with overheating until I bought an OEM T-Stat.
There is quite a difference between the stock and jobber T-Stats.
For the few extra bucks, might as well go with a Toyota part.
1985 4wd 493000kms. Semi-retired since 1990 Corolla SR5 4wd purchase. 174000kms.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Thermostat choices...

thermostat...OEM...Robert Shaw...BeckArnley...no Stant?

I'm using a Stant I think..no problems....except under some conditions the temp it holds varies some.

* Symptoms of a blown head gasket: Start car cold with cap off and coolant visible...look for a small stream of bubbles...if you see any, this is probably an exhaust into coolant leak. If you get serious bubbling in the resevoir when the car is hot and it overheats, this pretty much confirms it.

I've heard that if you overheat a car...it stresses the thermostat and maybe the sending units to the point that they can fail or not work right.

I recently overheated a V6...didn't do any damage I can see so far...probably because I had too much antifreeze in it...I think it's when they get hot enough that the coolant flashes into steam...that blows heater cores and rads...and really allows overheating of the block and head. I was lucky.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

The thermostat may not be the problem. The temperature sensor (that thing that gets in the way and is easily disconnected) near the timing belt cover does go. I have three to compare with and they all show different temperatures.