Bad crank pully

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Bad crank pully

Post by T-Bone »

I mentioned in an earlier post about the inner ring on my crank pulley spinning free. Well I got a new one, thanks to xirdneh for getting one to me in just two days. Thanks a lot for the help. I removed the old pulley and found that there is some sort of rubber ring that I think just helps absorb vibration had fallen apart.

Looks normal.

But far from it.

Here is a closeup of the rubber ring.

I guess the ring was hitting the lip where the oilpan meets the block. The good thing is that oil had leaked past the oilpan gasket and the pulley just spun on the oil.
Daily Driver:
1988 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
D16A1 Pistons (C/R 12.3:1)
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

Without looking at your previous thread, I'm going to go out on a limb here and think you're driving an automatic, right?

Because that pulley is a harmonic balancer for an automatic tranny'd car.

They are a failure item. Meaning it is sacrificial so that more expensive items in the engine don't take damage. In this case, the vibration from the lack of flywheel is absorbed by the harmonic balancer and it takes the punishment instead of things like crank, rods, pistons, distributor shaft, etc....
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

my tercel is a 6spd manual. thats kind of weird, i wonder why it would have a pulley for an auto tranny then?
Daily Driver:
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

Original engine or is it a swap out?

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

its the original engine, with 134K on it.
Daily Driver:
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

Hrm, I'm going to go take a look at mine then. They might have just put a harmonic balancer on for vibration dampening much like the counter-balance shaft in the Mitsu 2.6L......

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Kinda off the Tercel comments - I had a Jasper engine put in my '88 Dodge Ram 50/aka Mitsu with the 2.6 engine (original had cracked head + at only 90K), and when talking to Jasper, they said they always leave out the balance shaft, as it is a source of many problems. Jasper has the rep as the premier USA rebuilder, so I presume they know what they are talking about. I don't notice any less smoothness in the engine - 'course, it is a truck...).
A cursory glance through the wonderful Toyota POS FSM does not show a harmonic balancer/special pulley, whether in the engine or the AT section. Wonder if it is the same on all 3ACs, regardless of the the transmission?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

I'm guessing so because mine loks the same... :?:

Seems wierd.....

zipty842

Post by zipty842 »

4age and 22r crank pullies are similar, only wider, they are not really balancers, since the internals have pretty close tolerances and are balanced well from the factory. the rubber just gives a little bit of shock protection and a weak spot if something happens to go wrong with an accessory.
1986 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 MR2
1983 Celica GT-S
1993 Toyota 2WD pickup "HILUX GT"