Tranny Issues and Injector search....

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Tranny Issues and Injector search....

Post by Fingers »

Hey all,

Having some serious tranny issues. Drove like always last eve, then today it just wasn't right. Yes, it is the crappy 3sp Auto, but it is my main transportation until the 89 Corolla's 4age is finished being rebuilt. It is shifting from 1-2 at about 10mph, then from 2-3 at about 30, and they are not even close to being firm at all. I figure I'll go ahead and flush/fill and maybe try a filter replacement, but I am not about to tear this thing down, especially with the lack of a clean-haven to do it in.

Oh well, maybe it is time to convert the old dog to a manual (anyone have an old manual Terc in the midwest for sale?), or time to say bye bye to the old money-pit (any offers, or maybe anyone needing parts?).

Well, I guess we'll see how she goes....

And as a side note, I doubt anyone would have a set laying around, but if anyone happens to go to a salvage yard and find a Corolla GTS manufactured from 8-87 to 8-89, see if the injectors are there, and if they are the right ones (P/N 25250-16080, beige top), let me know what it would take to have you scavenge them for me. I sent my old ones off to Linder Tech for service, and 2 were fine, 1 had a bad spray pattern, and 1 was flowing 5% less than the others. And they seem to be kinda hard to find. They were also used on the fx-16 and the MR2 of the production times (actually, I think they were used in the Fx from 8-88 to 8-89). Thanks in advance.

Hope all is going well for you all.

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

a tranny flush will probably fix it right up.
make sure you do a flush and not just a pan service. to do a flush find the line going to the cooler, remove it and put it in a bucket or something, then strt the car and add new ATF through the dipstick tube untill new clean fluid comes through.

if you do a pan service, you'll need to do it at least 6 times to get a good "flush" minimum 4 times.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The full flush is best....but one option for a quick fix might be do the pan clean...refill and the right bottle of Lubegard additive...found at NAPA usually...or other parts stores.

If you've had the pan off...and it's fairly clean...I'd just do the flush and additive....easier not to remove the pan.

No guarantees...some people claim this has messed up their trans. Easier on it than a power flush for sure.

Lubegard also has a flush kit...where you add a chemical first...then flush..refill.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I don't know. I think she is ready to go. Either that, or the filter is a POS and had failed. I had completely drained all the fluids before I put the 4A in, then drained them all out again and replaced the filter about 30,000mi ago (when I replaced the radiator). So it shouldn't be dirty or anything. And it is getting worse.

BUT, I did find a decent condition 85 SR5 in a yard today, only 137,XXX miles. I was so sad to see it there. I am gonna call Mon and see if they will sell me the whole car. It would have to be cheaper than buying all the parts separate.

I'll keep you all up to date....
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

I have the same crappy auto tranny, and shifting from 2nd to 3rd is real sloppy. I took it to a couple of shops, and they said that there is no "adjustments" on these trannys and that it needs a rebuild. Does anyone think a good flush would help this one? It shifts OK from 1st to 2nd.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Most people I mention the flush to just tend to talk about it or take the car to to a trans place.

There's a writeup on it. It's not that hard to do. Doesn't cost that much. The Lubegard is an important part of it....loosens up the valves and so forth.

Might try Maxlife ATF...I think it is a little thicker and might help with lower pump pressures that you see with older trans.

I flush totally every 15K miles....and still see reddish-brown fluid when using Mobil synth ATF.

flush factoids:

* many trans are not changed out regularly...allowing grit, gum, etc to collect in the trans

* If you use regular ATF to fully flush a trans 3-4 times 1000 miles apart...you will still get dirty ATF out of it each time.

* you use about 1 quart less ATF to flush it than the total capacity of the trans...T4WD is 5 qts So each flush costs around $5 and some time. The final flush with Mobil synth will cost around $40-$50....with the Lubegard.

* there is a big difference in how a trans can act using regular ATF vs synth ATF.

* if a trans still shifts thru the gears...you have a chance of straightening it out

* the Lubegard makes a difference
Last edited by takza on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

Do you know what section the write up is in?? If I take it to a tranny shop, would the power flush work if anything is going to??
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I managed to fix the tranny, and kill it for good within 3 days. I think it died due to the initial problem. I noticed it making some noises on the day I put it on the rack. Drained the fluid (after using a BG flush in it for 2 days), took the old filter off (no real dirtiness), and then noticed the kick down linkage was off, causing the kickdown lever to rest on the pan flange. I really didn't think that something like that would effect it that much, but I am pretty sure it was. But today it started clunking loudly. CVs are both fine (at least not bad enough to make that kind of noise). I get to freeze my ass of in the junkyard for several hours tomorrow.

Think of me when you sip your cup of hot coffee.

Fingers

Helliphino.com
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Noticed in the FSM that there are at least 2 adjustments...the cable from the throttle linkage and the shifter linkage.

If you were running it without the trans being able to know the throttle position or if the shift linkage was off???

That clunking noise doesn't sound so good...but those 2 should be set right for sure.

Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

Are these external adjustments?? Could this help sloppy shifting between 2nd and 3rd? I took it to a couple tranny shops that said there is no adjustments... it needs to be rebuilt......what a surprise!! They all seem to say that...