Too Rich??

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I've seen that 20R write-up before.
I've done the 1 quart Marvel then topped with cheap oil in my engine, a buddies Audi, and am ready to do it in a buddies Beamer. In 50 miles (my standard drive period) the oil goes from clear-amber to mucky sludge. We then flush with 1-2 quarts cheap oil just poured in the top and run out the bottom. Not the greatest flush method ever, but it works. We then fill up with Mobil 1 synthetic, in the factory recommended viscosity range. My friends Audi is a different car at higher RPM's and my car remained more or less the same.

I'll have to try one of those methods.
Thanks a ton takza!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Damn..
Used a different tester, then bought a new one. All came to be the same results, wet and dry test. Conclusion? Valves.
And now I think I'm hearing oil starvation, yet I have a full pan. Pump failure?

Sheisse.... I think I may wind up having to nix driving her for a while. I need to find out what the insurance co says about killing its insurance if it won't be driving around.

I still have a lot to discuss with my folks, but assuming that my babie's insurance can be nix'd then I can slash $130 a month off my bills, then the $150 or so I spend on gas, let alone other odd ends.
If I can figure something like that out, then maybe I can save up and fix her up? I have no idea.........

Until final plans on any level can be made, I'll just have to drive her very very easy.... :?

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You could do a quick and easy valve job on it for not too much.

Or....now you have a chance to port and polish...do some grooves...mill the head....

Seems strange to me that all the valves would "wear" at exactly the same rate???? Though, if that's the case...probably a good thing?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I'm going to try an adjustment before I do a replacement. I had read about a bunch of shimming and so-forth, so was concerned it wasn't a simple screw-type setup. Found out it is, so I'll try to adjust, but if I get problems, I'll have to replace. We'll see what happens.

BTW, I may have found a 32/36 for fairly cheap... Have to talk with the guy to see if I saw correctly though.