Speaking of Turbos

Post here about...well...anything!
Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Speaking of Turbos

Post by Lollypop »

I have an idea peeps and wanna see what y'all think.

I wanna turbo a 4A engine. I was browsing around the local u-pull-it yard and found a turbo from a 19xx MX-6 with all the works including the intercooler, all I have to do is pull it, and it will only cost me 50 bucks.

Now I have a young boy I go to college college with who is into the inport tuner scene. See he suggested putting this turbo on my 3A or 4A and explained how to do it how it would work and offered his assistance in the job. Well being the skeptic I am and not wanting to blow a perfectly good motor I went to a buddy of mine who has done awesome things with the 20R motor. Besides putting a turbo on his checy truck....under the truck. He agreed with the young boy as to me being able to do it to the 3A-4A. And he also offered his assistance.

Now I have a few things I'll hafta do like build me a manifold for the turbo but, That ought not be too hard being that Im a Pipefitter by trade amoung other things so I'm thinking of tryin to Turbo my Myrtle.

Whatcha think?????

-----Justin-----
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

There's an article and pics on turboing a slant 6...

http://www.mpgresearch.com/viewtopic.php?t=129

...not sure how to find the article itself. Ideas.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Speaking of Turbos

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Lollypop wrote:I have an idea peeps and wanna see what y'all think.

I wanna turbo a 4A engine. I was browsing around the local u-pull-it yard and found a turbo from a 19xx MX-6 with all the works including the intercooler, all I have to do is pull it, and it will only cost me 50 bucks.

Now I have a young boy I go to college college with who is into the inport tuner scene. See he suggested putting this turbo on my 3A or 4A and explained how to do it how it would work and offered his assistance in the job. Well being the skeptic I am and not wanting to blow a perfectly good motor I went to a buddy of mine who has done awesome things with the 20R motor. Besides putting a turbo on his checy truck....under the truck. He agreed with the young boy as to me being able to do it to the 3A-4A. And he also offered his assistance.

Now I have a few things I'll hafta do like build me a manifold for the turbo but, That ought not be too hard being that Im a Pipefitter by trade amoung other things so I'm thinking of tryin to Turbo my Myrtle.

Whatcha think?????

-----Justin-----
You could try it on a tired old 3AC first to see how well it'll work. Then, if things worked well, you could fit it to a healthy 3AC or 4AC.

Things to keep in mind: You'd want to run low boost; probably no more than 5-6psi without major engine modifications. The engine could probably hold more boost, but not reliably for long. Use a big radiator to get rid of the extra engine heat that will be generated. Use a generous A/F ratio and a conservative ignition base timing to ward off detonation.

If you want to build a higher boost setup for lots more power, I'd recommend buying a 4agze bottom end and mating it to the 3AC head (yes this will work - even with the 4agze pistons). The 4agze bottom end is MUCH stronger than the 3ac. This would allow much higher boost. You could run a metal head gasket for extra measure. The 4agze is the engine from the supercharged Toyota MR2 in north america.

I know a guy running the exact turbo you are looking at getting on his 1.4l KP61 Starlet motor. He is using a blow through setup through a carburator. I think he has some sort of rising rate fuel pressure regulator for the carb to combat the effects of the boost. Here is his webpage:
http://www.aceengineering.ca/Starlet_Turbo_Setup.asp
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

I have a few question about using the 4AGZE bottom end with a 3AC head. does everything bolt right up? also what t-belt do you use and what engine mounts would be used in the tercel?
Daily Driver:
1988 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
D16A1 Pistons (C/R 12.3:1)
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

T-Bone wrote:I have a few question about using the 4AGZE bottom end with a 3AC head. does everything bolt right up? also what t-belt do you use and what engine mounts would be used in the tercel?
I know for sure that the 3AC head will bolt to the 4AGZE bottom end. As far as the timing belt goes, I'm not 100%, but I would bet that the sprocket can be removed from behind the 3AC crank pulley, and put behind the 4agze crank pulley. The height of the block is the same, so that would not be an issue. You would have to use the 3AC tensioner system; I'm fairly certain this will bolt on. Again, I'm fairly certain that the 3AC engine mounts will bolt to the 4agze block. I know that the 4agze has the same mounting holes as the 4age block, and the 4age block is used in rwd config in the AE86. One thing though, if your timing belt snaps, and you are using the 4agze pistons, there is the possibility of interference. This is because the 4agze pistons have cutouts for a 16v head, not a 8v head.

Please note, I don't know the above from my own 100 experience. I have worked with 3AC's, 4ages, and a 4agze though; but I just have not put them all together. So the parts I wrote about the timing belt and engine mounts are my deductions only.

Don't attempt this stuff if you don't know your way around engines.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

i wonder if the t-belt would be the same as with the honda d-series mini-me mods. thats where you swap heads from different SOHC engines. with those i use the t-belt that goes with the cylinder head. it sounds like the same concept with the toyota motors as honda has with their motors. if it is the same series of engine like d16z6, d15b2, d16a1 etc then most of the parts can be swapped around for different performance gains. do you know what the compression ratio is if you use a 4AGZE botton end with the 3AC cylinder head? i want to build up a good NA motor for my tercel, i am still getting used to this setup of motor. if it was a honda i know those engines like crazy.
Daily Driver:
1988 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
D16A1 Pistons (C/R 12.3:1)
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

T-Bone wrote:i wonder if the t-belt would be the same as with the honda d-series mini-me mods. thats where you swap heads from different SOHC engines. with those i use the t-belt that goes with the cylinder head. it sounds like the same concept with the toyota motors as honda has with their motors. if it is the same series of engine like d16z6, d15b2, d16a1 etc then most of the parts can be swapped around for different performance gains. do you know what the compression ratio is if you use a 4AGZE botton end with the 3AC cylinder head? i want to build up a good NA motor for my tercel, i am still getting used to this setup of motor. if it was a honda i know those engines like crazy.
The 4agze is a supercharged motor; it runs about 8psi. It has low compression pistons, and would NOT make a good NA motor. I believe the compression is 8.0:1 with the 4agze head, and would be the same or possibly less with a 3AC head.

All the 'a' series Toyota engines are very interchangeable; probably similar to the Honda engine series you are familiar with. Toyota 'a' engines are very numerous, and certain advantages can be had by mixing and matching parts. The biggest advantage you could gain in the tercel, is going with an EFI 'a' series engine; particularily one with more power, but with a decent torque curve useful to 4wding. Unfortunetely, it is a lot of work to upgrade to a efi engine in the tercel, especially because most are cross flow head designs. This is the only reason there is an advantage to sticking with the 3ac head. Otherwise the 3ac head is crap in my opinion (doesn't flow well at all, non-cross flow design). This is why everyone is working on how to make more power with using the 3ac head (which happens to be the same as a 4ac head).

If you'd like to see some of the 'a' series engines released by Toyota, check out this link: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/ ... gines.html You will need to click on the 'a' at the top of the webpage, and it'll bring you down the to 'a' engines.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS