miata coilovers on a MR-2, would it work on a tercel?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

miata coilovers on a MR-2, would it work on a tercel?

Post by Mac »

i came accoss this excuse for a write up on converting miata coil overs to a AW11 MR2, looks pretty interesting, got me thinking if mabey this could be done on a tercel...

have a look, and what the hell is a gland nut? i've never heard of such a thing.

http://www.technicalgarage.com/articles/aw11/coilover/

BTW: this guy has no clue what he is doing, so take it all with lots and lots of salt.
Finder349
Advanced Member

Post by Finder349 »

I think a nut is technically as gland but then that was not really your question was it?

Calvin
86 SR5 238k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
85 SR5 232k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
87 Toyota LE 4wd Van 184k :)
87 Toyota 4wd Van 236k :)
Yes I run with scissors.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Well...the PINK threaded tube would have to fit down over the gland nut on top of the strut.

The PINK disc at top would have to fit over the strut rod.

When you were done...you'd have about 1/2 the spring travel as the original...great for lowering it...not for offroad though.

Unless you found a spring with the same diameter and about 2Xs as long or longer...and that had the right spring rate.

* the gland nut is the gray thing he is grinding down some...fits on top of the original strut tube to hold the rod and oil in.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Lets go grind down our sway-bars! Maybe that'll make them stronger! Lets grind our bearings down!
I really am apprehensive about just grinding things.......... Really scares me.
So is the only cool thing about coilovers that they are adjustable? Well, go buy those metal compress/expanders from Advance Auto.... Or is it the narrowness? Well... THEN WHY HAVE THE WIDE-ARSE McPherson HOLDER STILL ON?? lol. (shrug)
If all there is to it is getting them to hold still over the struts and support weight... Thats not too hard? Well, not if you have access to a machining shop?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

yeah, grinding the nut at the top of the strut isn't what i would like to do, but mabey the tercel struts are narroer.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

He's probably just grinding the points of the hex down to get more clearance?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

I used Ground Control coil over kit for my car. (drop zone brand too)

THey were made for '91 + struts but still worked on the car. You can use virtually any brand out there that is universal because they are designed for a 1.5 to 2" strut dia. civics and our cars use a 1.5" and larger cars like camaros and mustangs use a 1.85" strut. They ride like a rock waggon on our cars, because there is not enough weight to counteract the spring weight.

I ground off the stock spring retainer and the cartridge nut (gland nut) to fit them on.

THere is no detrimental effects of grinding off the retainer to fit these on nor is there a problem with grinding the nut. The only concern would be in a car where you change the cartridge then grinding the nut is not a good thing.

However, welding is. If you can't take the cartridge out (such as our struts) then you can seriously damage the dampening of the strut. But grinding is ok.

I had coil overs on for many miles. I removed the perch from brand new mcphersons. I did not loose sleep over it and will not again when i do it to my $35,000 grand prix GTX in 2 mos to put coil overs on it!
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!