bigger oil filters

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

bigger oil filters

Post by Mac »

well, in my search for the biggest oil filter possible to put on a tercel, i found the fram PH8A, might work, it will thread in perfectly, but the gasket might be a little too big as far as diameter is concerned.

if anyone is interested, its the oil filter that goes on a 82 landcruiser, diesel, gas, same oil filter.

i bought the fram FL8A so i can compare it, and see if the gasket will work, best of all it was super cheap, $4.07! (cdn) and is about 4 times the size of the stock flter which should increase oil capacity to around 5L (estimated)

if this dosn't work then the only other option for the tercel without some sort of adapter/remote mount kit will be the celica GT-S filter (toyota 90915-YZZF2 or fram PH4386)

the 1994 supra filter might also fit (fram P/N PH3614) but again the gasket issue may be a problem. i'll let you know my results as soon as i find out, but don't let that stop you from researching on your own in the meantime.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I just use the filter for a 4a corolla, it is probably 2x as big as the recommended and it seems fine. How big are you going for?

I wonder if the flow capabilities of the stock oil pump would even be able to take advantage of that large of a filter. Being that it is mounted almost completely sideways, and some of those are mounted at an angle or close to vertical. It shouldn't be an issue, but just a thought. Haven't really looked into flow rates of various Toyota oil pumps.

Damn, 4x is huge, will it fit, gasket allowing, without interfering with anything else?

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Have you looked at filters for other cars besides Toyota?

I got this info from a maker of remote filter kits. Some Suzuki owners like to use Ford 5.0 filters, they might fit the Toyotas too. I'm not sure if the o-ring diameter applies to all these cars, or is just what the adapter kits use. Check carefully before using the "wrong" filter. :)

Theads = 3/4"-16

O-ring = 2-1/2"

Most Audi, Ford & Ford Truck, Lincoln, Mercury, Dodge, BMW, Jeep, Lexus, non-metric Mazda, non-metric Nissan, Saab, all Saturn, all Range Rover, all Suzuki, Toyota, all Volkswagen, all Volvo.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I use the 5L filter on a 3L engine...it's pretty large. The o-ring fits on a flat surface...so there's some latitude for being off some...but there are issues of bypass valves...where they are located,etc. :?:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

well, a large oil filter can't be an issue, i'm just not sure if i trust the backflow valve of the fram filter.

as for the bypass valve, using a bigger filter will only mean the valve will open later rather than sooner, so if your redlining your engine its using filtered oil rather than bypassed oil.

i took a couple pics, but imageshack isn't working right now so i'll have to post them later.

as for interfearance, i don't think the tercel will have an issue, but i can't be certain untill i try it out.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

Gasoline Fumes wrote:Have you looked at filters for other cars besides Toyota?

I got this info from a maker of remote filter kits. Some Suzuki owners like to use Ford 5.0 filters, they might fit the Toyotas too. I'm not sure if the o-ring diameter applies to all these cars, or is just what the adapter kits use. Check carefully before using the "wrong" filter. :)

Theads = 3/4"-16

O-ring = 2-1/2"

Most Audi, Ford & Ford Truck, Lincoln, Mercury, Dodge, BMW, Jeep, Lexus, non-metric Mazda, non-metric Nissan, Saab, all Saturn, all Range Rover, all Suzuki, Toyota, all Volkswagen, all Volvo.
i just wen't to the fram website and looked up the oil filter for the 5.0 mustang and it is the PH8A i have, the ford PN is FL1A, personally i'd rather use the motorcraft filter than fram, i'll take the fram to work tomrrow and compare the two filters, mabey the FL1A's gasket will work better.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

well, i was screwing around with my echo since it uses the same filter as the tercel(YZZF2), and i found the PH8A does not fit on an echo, oddly however a ford FL-400S from my brothers 2.3L ford ranger fits perfectly!

the FL-400S is a little over twice the size of the OEM celica GT-S filter (YZZF1) and the GT-S filter is half an inch taller than the tercel/echo filter.

if the PH-8A is too big for the tercel, than the ford FL-400S should be viable alternative for a big filter, provided the seal does not turn out to be an issue.

the fram PH 3600 is the equivelent of the FL-400S
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

success! the bigass PH8A fit on the tercel without any issues, the gasket is a little bit bigger in diamter than the stock gakset, but its 90% of the gasket area makes contact with the block, so i doubt i'm going to lose oil pressure, and i made it tight as hell for good measure.

i'll try to get pictutes tom of the installed filter.

as for what my new oil capacity is i have no idea because i used an undetermined amount of leftover 5w50 from the echo and 3 litres of 10w30 i got from work which put it right between the two marks on the dipstick.
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

I don't understand why people knock Fram filters. That's all I have ever used on my Tercel for the past 20 years. The car has 339,000 miles on it...doesn't burn any oil. If the oil filter was inferior I don't think the car would have attained that kind of mileage.

No...I don't work for Fram.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

They are smaller and seem to have a higher failure rate.
I prefer stuff like the Purolater Plus. Its twice the size, more pleats, more capacity, finer pleats.
Plus my magnets.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

Chris wrote:I don't understand why people knock Fram filters. That's all I have ever used on my Tercel for the past 20 years. The car has 339,000 miles on it...doesn't burn any oil. If the oil filter was inferior I don't think the car would have attained that kind of mileage.

No...I don't work for Fram.
poor backflow valve allows oil to drain out of the filter instead of staying in it, and the filters don't filter very well, if you switched to a toyota OEM filter you'll notice the oil staying cleaner longer.

the only reason your car has that milage is because its a toyota, not because of the filter you use.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

pressure rises quicker, and also what you say oil lasts longer cleaner
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I was looking at a Fram PH8A the other day...looks like it might fit....has anyone tried another brands equivalent filter?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Finder349
Advanced Member

Post by Finder349 »

Seems there is call for another "great work" post...

This PH8A filter fitting the terc is a wonderful thing. This being the case take a look at this site, http://www.trasko-usa.com/ I have used them and really like it. The cost is more. Was about 70 for the case and 10 per filter when I fisrt got mine (for a different applicaiton). Knowing the the PH8A fits this opens up the ability to use a remote and duel filter if you wanted. The neat thing about that Trasko is that it is a by-pass filter. It allows for the use of a REALLY fine filter media while maintaining great oil flow. I have personally seen my oil stay clean for a very long time in my Jeep.

Again great work,

Calvin
86 SR5 238k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
85 SR5 232k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
87 Toyota LE 4wd Van 184k :)
87 Toyota 4wd Van 236k :)
Yes I run with scissors.