Addendum To Previous EGR Valve Cleaning Methods

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Addendum To Previous EGR Valve Cleaning Methods

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OK - I will add my two cents to the Great EGR Valve Cleaning Adventure. While takza's is the seminal literature from 2004, I do have a few additions to the procedure.

Apart from the illustrations, which (I think) are self-explanatory, I will add that I wholeheartedly agree that the cleaning of the gasket from the manifold mount is a real PITA; the easiest way to access it is after the removal of the carburetor. In lieu of a dedicated gasket scraper, I used a sharpened, non-flexible, "thick" putty knife, and then cleaned up the surface with a razor blade scraper.

The bulk of the hard carbon deposits were removed with ice picks, various screwdrivers and even various sizes of drill bits; this stuff is rock-hard, and my valve was totally blocked. The "tools" in the photos can only be used after 99% of the deposits are removed. The SIS casing and brake cable casing shown can be scrounged from a bicycle store; probably used material can be gotten for free, but if new material is wanted, it's only a few bucks.

I would also add that the second time I cleaned the valve, I used regular oven cleaner on the intake pipe and on the valve itself. No harm was done, and a lot more carbon was thereafter flushed. Note that this oven cleaner procedure was done after using the various scouring tools in the photos. I repeated the oven cleaner method a number of times, until the water flushing fluid came clear. Note also that this method may be harmful to the diaphragm if there is a leak in the valve's shaft; of course, if this is the case, the valve is probably shot anyway.
Tom M.

Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

In the annals of literature...this is surely a milestone...bravo....bravo!!!!

And the graphic design is very impressive. :D

Should I even need to mention a nomination for the end of the year T4WD posting contest?

----

....the competition is getting fierce! Grrrrrrr :mrgreen:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

Excellent write-up ARCHINSTL, and great pics.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well - Thank You - Wish the red-faced emoticon had a smile instead of a frown, as I am embarrassed (just a bit, though...)
After doing this last July or so, I bought a vac pump, which, while handy, would not have permitted the sampling of old carbon in my mouth whilst sucking on the tube before clamping it...."Yes - a modest and unassuming vintage, that 1992 Conoco..."

Mine are not quite as technical or necessary as the Guides of some of you guys, but I figure that anything helps, and we are all in this together, right?
I have a couple more in the works...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Are you using a special prog or method to clean up those edges...or just filling a background color with WHITE?

I've tried that "collage" effect and cleaning up the edges of an object...took forever.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

takza -
"Special Program" ? ME ? Come on - It took me forever to find photobucket ! ! !
I do a lot of this on eBay to make the pix interesting - and it's kinda fun. No special program - just sucking part of a photo to a blank page, erasing the original page and moving the sucked-out portion back on. Then doing the same from another photo and adding it to the first blank page with the first sucked-out photo portion. I just use a white "color" in arrows (term?) and fill in the background. Yes, it is tedious, but I do think it's worth the effort.
My camera is a stone-age 2.3 MP $170 HP from 4 years ago (as an aside, my 7 year-old granddaughter just got one for Christmas - $70 and 3.4 MP). The software (term?) is what came with the camera - MGI Photosuite 8.1 - nothing complicated or fancy like Photoshop.
I also make my own greeting cards - some are cute and clever, and some are just grandpaw-corny (when carding the kids, I print a "head shot" of them in the address in lieu of their first name-they love it). I do some political cards as well...guess which camp? Hint - I ain't a mahout...
Tom M.
P.S. Sorry for the lack of proper technical terms - but I figured this stuff out on my own and never learned the correct lingo.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

nice writeup, i will be sure to follow it when i go to clean out my EGR system.
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

nice writeup, i will be sure to follow it when i go to clean out my EGR system.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Awesome write-up. I'll have to try that, assuming I get the opportunity.
My digi is a 1.8MP that cost $500 about 8 years ago... Essentially, a first-gen Digi. Its an HP and it works great. Just check out my shots of my Terc in Typrus' Tercel...
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Here are 3 FREE graphics progs that work for me...Windoze....you might like them....

MWSnap...good capture prog...catch those graphics before they get away!

XNView...good slide show....resize....reformat...batch...

Pixia...can do a lot of stuff...just have to figure out HOW....

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Pulled the EGR valve off the 84's engine......... 100% plugged at the intake. After drilling some of this out, and realizing I dorked up the passage walls :oops: I went through with a good soaking of Deep Creep. I swabbed some gunk out with Q-Tips, then I went and ripped a front brake assy off of one of our trashed bikes. I frayed the ends and drilled the carbon out as best I could. Massive amounts of carbon came from the valve, let alone the big tube.

Why should I fix this thing on my 84/86? If it too is 100% plugged, what is it hindering and what is it helping? I can't imagine re-introducing that much sooty carbon to the cylinders is a great idea, but I also can see that the hot EG may help fuel vaporization, though lowering O2 content.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew