Question about clunk in front end...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Question about clunk in front end...

Post by T-Bone »

The other night I was driving in my tercel and when ever i would start to turn the wheel to the righ while driving I would start to hear a clunking sound from around the front driverside of the car. Also when I was stopping it would make the same clunnking sound. I hope it is not the driveshaft because the person I bought the car from said that they were replaced.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Yeah, it's probably the halfshaft.

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

thats what i was thinking. it is starting to get a little worse. it now makes the clunk sound w/o even turning. everytime i hear the clunk it makes the steering wheel jurk a little bit. would the driveshaft make the steering wheel shake? also, does anyone know how much one would cost? thanks
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Every bad axle I've had made a continuous clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk noise when turning and accelerating at the same time. If it's just an occasional clunk, I'd take a good look at the suspension and steering. Especially if it's getting worse. :shock:
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

i checked the suspension and steering and it all checked out good. so i think it might be the driveaxle.
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

oh, this is really weird about the clunk. if i put my tercel in 4WD the clunk goes away and the funny thing is that it seems to shift better. now im really confused as to what it could be. :?