Successfull 4AC Swap

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

Do the swap!!!!

Ask away and I will do my best to answer.

Fuel pump may have to be replaced; it depends on whether your original has the same number of hoses.

The other items can be swaped or left as is.

Just DO IT ... it is not that hard just time consuming.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

If you find a bare 4a engine(long block), you can swap anything you would need from your old 3a. The 3a is listed as a direct replacement for the 4a, and visa-versa. I would recommend rebuilding (or swapping) the carb to 4a specs. You might as well swap out anything that could give you problems, such as the fuel pump, water pump, etc. I didn't swap them all out, as the blown 3a had 72,XXX miles on it, and I was broke, but I kinda wished I had.

I didn't have a reference to compare the 3a to the 4a, but with the auto tranny, I don't think it would matter.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Goatlad

Post by Goatlad »

silly question probably, but whats the main difference in these two blocks? just more displacement?
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

more displacement better torque.

trust me Just Do It. It is not as hard as changing the bushing on the lower control arm.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

To: coltarms

Post by terceldude »

I thought you talked about difficulty finding pictures of a Toyota 4A-E engine in some thread, which I'm having difficulty finding. If you want pictures go here:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity/9257/80-p6.html

That covers it. Have fun!!! :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D
K-Business
hornett22
Top Notch Member

i just did the swap last week.

Post by hornett22 »

works great. alot better power on the hills and highway.i changed the oil pan and pick up,waterpump assy,timing belt cover,distributor,and some carb stuff but i used the 4ac carb because it had alot less mileage than the 3ac one in my car.just waiting on a vacuum advance module and HIC valve.i highly recommend this swap. car should have come with this motor from the factory.my buddy even noticed the difference from the passenger seat.still have to get it fine tuned so my girlfriend can try it.she bought two new in the 80s and she thought they were slow then
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!