sr5 dash

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
2manytoys4menow
Advanced Member

sr5 dash

Post by 2manytoys4menow »

Does anyone know if you can install the speedo/tach assembley from a sr5 model into a standard model ?? I found a good 86 sr5 at the yard and I was thinking it would be nice to have a tach in my 84 standard 4wd wagon . I think I will get the front and rear diff's and windshield of the car to . thank's for any help , Bruce .
CHEVY BUTCHER
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I think it's a straight trade out...get the trans along with the front diff?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

If you use the search function and search for 'tach' (without the ' ' quotaion marks, of course) you will get a full page of hits that will give you lots of info from previous posts about your question.
2manytoys4menow
Advanced Member

Post by 2manytoys4menow »

Thank's guy's . So I guess it's just a plug & play thing 8) . I'm going to go shopping at the boneyard today and get me some parts off that 86 . I do wish it was a little warmer here though bbbbbrrrr .
CHEVY BUTCHER
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

I love my new SR5 4WD instrument cluster!

I've had my wagon ('87 2WD 5-spd, and previously one of our two main family vehicles) since early '93 and only recently discovered the instrument cluster interchange was a possiblity because of this site. It sure is a pleasure driving with a tach, and the digital clock is an added bonus. On top of that, I can see it all again - turns out that two of three bulbs for lighting up my original cluster were toast. Only one bulb makes for a pretty dim display.

Picked up my new/pre-owned cluster today from one of the local wreckers, along with a couple of other things - pulled it from an '87 SR5 4WD. Was a direct plug in and bolt in - gotta love it!

So, it appears the SR5 4WD clusters will pop right in to 2WD wagons as well as the non-SR5 4WD wagons.

An added note for anyone wanting to do the same - in searching for a cluster, one on-line wrecker's site led me to believe that the '85 thru '87/'88 speedos will interchange, but it does appear that '83/'84 speedos may be different, so that if you have, say, an '83 or '84 wagon and want to install a cluster with the tach, that you should only use one from and '83 or '84, and vice versa if you have an '85 or newer wagon, stay away from the '83/'84 clusters. Just a thought...
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

oops posted in the wrong spot - see thread re Speedo differences 83-84, 85-88