Sputters or dies after running a while.

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Sputters or dies after running a while.

Post by NWMO »

A little “smoke” wouldn’t bother me. Mine would sizzle/boil when poured in. I still think it sounds like fuel starvation

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Post by Mogordo »

Thanks. I'm still not figuring it out. I won't be working on it this weekend but maybe by next.
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

You might have a couple issues to sort out... maybe fuel and ignition. Does it run OK when the engine is cold?
My first wagon had a similar problem that turned out to be ignition. It would run fine until warmed up, then sputter out and not restart until it cooled off. I swapped distributors and all was good, but maybe your 83 distributor is failing. I would check for spark again when it's hot and not starting.
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Post by Mogordo »

It does have spark even when it's hot and not starting. But it is only stalling if it's been running a while. Distrubutor was my thought prior to swapping it and having the same issue with a diffferent disributor in it.
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.