New Member. New Tercel!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
zarubikon
My tercel:: 1987 tercel

New Member. New Tercel!

Post by zarubikon »

Hello all,

Thank you for letting me join your very cool old school forum. It will be the first of its kind for me (I have a suspicion I might be a quarter of the age of most of you.) I have been lurking quite a bit recently, searching for help with a tercel that I have adopted on my friends property on a small island in BC. So work is sometimes difficult since if I'm missing a part it is not possible to just run to the store. I have tackled many similar mechanical projects before, however this is by far the oldest vehicle I have ever worked on so its posing some challenges, especially the awful carb and vacuum line jungle. They are both causing me nightmares. Enough about me and onto the car! It's a 1987 toyota tercel 5 door hatch. Powered by the 3E w/ an automatic transmission. However it is not 4wd :( please dont kick me out! But, it has ONLY 68000 KM!!! Unfortunately it does not run as if it only had 68km, it runs like garbage since it was neglected for 5+ years and sat outside for most of it.

If the car isn't already up to temperature, starting it is a nightmare. It will stall itself repeatedly and we have to start it again and again until it gets up to temperature. Once it does it drives great and its pretty smooth. Sometimes the pedal response is horrific and it struggles a little, but I'm just chalking that up to it being an old carbureted car that was neglected. I have done a lot of routine maintenance to it and replaced filters (air & fuel). I am now in the process of taking the carb apart and rebuilding it with a rebuild kit. Unfortunately it is the single barrel carb so I can't refer to the guide you guys have posted. I have mostly stripped down the carb and cleaned it. I am now however trying to find all the little O rings and washers that need replacing... I am not having much luck. I will make a post in the proper channels after to get more advice. I am also confused as to where I can find the service manual that is spoken about so much, I can't seem to find it in the forum.

Thank you for reading!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: New Member. New Tercel!

Post by NWMO »

zaru,

The FSM is under the General tab, under General “stickies”.

We do have a great group here, but the 3E engine was the next generation, so you won’t find much here. I’m surprised it still used a carb? If you post with questions, there may be some helpful responses. Good luck.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

It should have a variable venturi carb- completely different from our cars. Also has a transverse-mounted engine- don't think you'll find much helpful info. here. Sorry!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

That's low miles for an '87! I'm not familiar with the variable venturi carb, but some quick reading makes it sound nightmarish. I stumbled on this weber conversion kit that might interest you:
https://www.ebay.com/p/4034806606
Seems like a chunk of cash, but it might be a big improvement over a potential problem carb (not that our 2bbl carbs are much better).
zarubikon
My tercel:: 1987 tercel

Post by zarubikon »

Thanks guys and yes I can confirm the variable venturi carb is a nightmare. I thought I might as well try rebuilding it first since I got a kit for 30$. I also do realize that I won't get much info on the 3e here but hey, if anyones gonna know much about them it'll probably be one of you guys.
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

Here's a couple tech articles about the VV carb that may be helpful... not sure if the "field fix kit" mentioned is available anymore, but the articles describe some of the controls and how they work.
http://www.mastertechmag.com/pdf/1992/1 ... enturi.pdf
https://automotivetechinfo.com/wp-conte ... turi-2.pdf
I hope the rebuild goes well!