Flywheel for 3ac??

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dreaminvader
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4 door Hatch 2wd

Flywheel for 3ac??

Post by Dreaminvader »

I didn't see any posts about aftermarket flywheel options for our cars with 3ac engine? I have a 1983 FWD hatchback that is in the middle of being converted from auto to manual trans. and I was wanting to slap a new flywheel in it but can't seem to find any options? I found one flywheel that says it fits 1986 and up tercel and lists 3ac engine compatability as well as the 3E, 3EE, and 5EFE engines. Would this one work for my '83? Was there a change in flywheel design from 1983-1986? Anybody know where to source a brand new one? Also, I'm not opposed to having the current flywheel machined, but would this require shims? The only shims available now are weird star-patterned ones and not a solid disc-shaped shim, they look kind of sketchy to me haha. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Flywheel for 3ac??

Post by dlb »

I don't believe the flywheels for 3E engines will work for ours but I'm not positive.

If your FWD hatchback is automatic, it won't have a flywheel. I think the best option would be to buy a used one from someone here or on the fb group and get it machined. No shims are required for that, I have had multiple flywheels machined. It's normal to have that done whenever you replace the clutch to ensure the flywheel is smooth for the new clutch disc.