Blacktop 20v 4AGE In my Wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
tomeitel
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Blacktop 20v 4AGE In my Wagon

Post by tomeitel »

First off, credit where credit is due. Larrys post inspired this build and if it were not for his thread and photos (what photos still are left as of 2023) this swap would not have happened. Id love to chat some day larry and give you a proper thank you.

Second Thanks to Synth who not only supplied an already done flywheel gave me motivation and inspiration along the way. And has become a great friend along the journey.

Its not completely done or road worthy but enjoy a blacktop 20v running in a wagon. Hood closes if anyone is wondering :) Questions feel free to pop em in ill reply to them here. Ive got hundreds of photos along the process ive done all the work. Ill make another short walk through of it completely when its on the road at a cars n coffee :)

https://youtu.be/5k3mQJLiOFo?feature=shared
Toyotise
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX. 1986 4WD SR5

Re: Blacktop 20v 4AGE In my Wagon

Post by Toyotise »

4AGE. Favorite car I ever owned 1986 MR2.
Looks very Nice car and engine. Question is how will the transaxle handle that torque…? Well it all depends on how ya treat a girl right?
No launches from first gear. Baby that clutch out and then add power gently once you’ve got some momentum spooling up everything out of inertia gently. Don’t a recommend power shifting the ole’ box. Treat 4AGE as a hill climbing helper/ passing lane happen-er.
Wanna give it the full send drag strip mentality?:
“WTB new tranny please!” Rallycross racing circuit weekend: “Blew my tranny guys”.

Anyway a guys you can do what you want with your possessions… they’re just such good cars that will do what they’re designed to do almost indefinitely with proper care and feeding. Hates me to see them get rubbed purposeful the wrong way.

Honestly the transmission will be more or less okay with the power if you follow a couple guidelines and treat it with little bit of finesse in the driving technique. Minimize abrupt throttle inputs. Don’t dump the clutch. Don’t rev the guts out of the transaxle. An occasional passing pull isn’t going to destroy anything but giving her the redline every time sure will.

Oh yeah and throw 2-4 of these in. Will provide good insurance if lubricant gets low/ and a little bit of annealliation (yep that’s a made up word but…-the idea!-) on worn gear faces and pitted bearing races. Some extra shock protection for that 4AGE torque.
https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/us/mos2-a ... tion-title
Keep it Stock; Live Long.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Great build! I bet that there are many interested among us to ask questions from you.

That video was a very good proof that 4AGE swap can be done.

My first question is, how the spark system works together with carbs? I see no distributor like in older 4AGE engines. Or is it fuel injected? The setup looks highly similar to double side draft carbs used in many rally cars. Rally hobbyists like to build nowadays 4AGE engines with double side draft carbutetors.
tomeitel

Post by tomeitel »

Toyotise wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:03 am 4AGE. Favorite car I ever owned 1986 MR2.
Looks very Nice car and engine. Question is how will the transaxle handle that torque…? Well it all depends on how ya treat a girl right?
No launches from first gear. Baby that clutch out and then add power gently once you’ve got some momentum spooling up everything out of inertia gently. Don’t a recommend power shifting the ole’ box. Treat 4AGE as a hill climbing helper/ passing lane happen-er.
Wanna give it the full send drag strip mentality?:
“WTB new tranny please!” Rallycross racing circuit weekend: “Blew my tranny guys”.

Anyway a guys you can do what you want with your possessions… they’re just such good cars that will do what they’re designed to do almost indefinitely with proper care and feeding. Hates me to see them get rubbed purposeful the wrong way.

Honestly the transmission will be more or less okay with the power if you follow a couple guidelines and treat it with little bit of finesse in the driving technique. Minimize abrupt throttle inputs. Don’t dump the clutch. Don’t rev the guts out of the transaxle. An occasional passing pull isn’t going to destroy anything but giving her the redline every time sure will.

Oh yeah and throw 2-4 of these in. Will provide good insurance if lubricant gets low/ and a little bit of annealliation (yep that’s a made up word but…-the idea!-) on worn gear faces and pitted bearing races. Some extra shock protection for that 4AGE torque.
https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/us/mos2-a ... tion-title
I love the narrative :) yeah, I couldn't agree with you more on taking care of the trans and letting it spin up and live a good long life with good fluid changes and shifts. Well, see how it does. It came from a good place with only 166k on the trans so far and clean, with good regular changes of fluid all around. Hoping it has a good long life of cruising up HYW 50 or I-80 into the Sierra Nevada mountains and ski resorts in Tahoe, reliving all its glory days :) I am giving a salute to the chain control guys as we shift it into 4WD and cruise on through.
tomeitel

Post by tomeitel »

Nordical25 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:34 am Great build! I bet that there are many interested among us to ask questions from you.

My first question is, how the spark system works together with carbs? I see no distributor like in older 4AGE engines. Or is it fuel injected? The setup looks highly similar to double side draft carbs used in many rally cars. Rally hobbyists like to build nowadays 4AGE engines with double side draft carbutetors.
You are looking at ITBs which are fuel injected carbs basically. I think its unique to the Blacktop engine, but yeah looks like carbs but acts fuel injected. Especially in the cold days. The spark is Coil on Plug and controlled directly by the Haltech ECU the coils are Hitachi plugs commonly referred to as r-34 gtr coils.
Toyotise
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX. 1986 4WD SR5

Post by Toyotise »

[/quote]

I love the narrative :) yeah, I couldn't agree with you more on taking care of the trans and letting it spin up and live a good long life with good fluid changes and shifts. Well, see how it does. It came from a good place with only 166k on the trans so far and clean, with good regular changes of fluid all around. Hoping it has a good long life of cruising up HYW 50 or I-80 into the Sierra Nevada mountains and ski resorts in Tahoe, reliving all its glory days :) I am giving a salute to the chain control guys as we shift it into 4WD and cruise on through.
[/quote]

Sounds like you have the “right” idea. Mmm hmm. Goptta post us some videos of cruising up those forested interstate hills holding 65mph. Mmm hmm. 20 Valve!
Keep it Stock; Live Long.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Toyotise,
Sounds like you have the “right” idea. Mmm hmm. Goptta post us some videos of cruising up those forested interstate hills holding 65mph. Mmm hmm. 20 Valve!

Is this a Slingblade (movie) reference?
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

tomeitel wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:59 pm
Nordical25 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:34 am Great build! I bet that there are many interested among us to ask questions from you.

You are looking at ITBs which are fuel injected carbs basically. I think its unique to the Blacktop engine, but yeah looks like carbs but acts fuel injected. Especially in the cold days. The spark is Coil on Plug and controlled directly by the Haltech ECU the coils are Hitachi plugs commonly referred to as r-34 gtr coils.
Thanks for the information. That explains it all why it looks like a carb but works like fuel injection engine.
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

What is up Tom! it is awesome to see the progress. You're hired to come install one on a wagon when I can't find a cheap 20V :lol:
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
tomeitel

Post by tomeitel »

Well wanted to post an update.

Today we dyno tested and tuned the wagon. It easily made 130whp like first pull at 6000rpm (im a bit scared to take it any higher for fear of the trans spinning too much and letting go) but it sounded mint at 6k I was super surprised,
After this video we turned on the VVT and the power came in significantly earlier in the curve which is nice since im onky taking the motor to 6k. It easily could handle 8500rpm too. So theres a lot of power left on the table. We think maybe 170 if it could go all the way to its real redline.

Any way enjoy a super gnarly sounding tercel wagon making some big boy dyno pulls.
https://youtu.be/2pTTUYk3ZyM?feature=shared
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

tomeitel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 pm Well wanted to post an update.

Today we dyno tested and tuned the wagon. It easily made 130whp like first pull at 6000rpm (im a bit scared to take it any higher for fear of the trans spinning too much and letting go) but it sounded mint at 6k I was super surprised,
After this video we turned on the VVT and the power came in significantly earlier in the curve which is nice since im onky taking the motor to 6k. It easily could handle 8500rpm too. So theres a lot of power left on the table. We think maybe 170 if it could go all the way to its real redline.

Any way enjoy a super gnarly sounding tercel wagon making some big boy dyno pulls.
https://youtu.be/2pTTUYk3ZyM?feature=shared
20v BT are good for 160hp at 7800rpm.

ive pushed mine to ~8000rpm with a cammed 3a and it was fine.

also, currently im pushing a theoretical 240hp through my fwd trans with a turbo 4age, so as long as you arent dumping the clutch, youll be okay. i probably would still be very fearful about pushing it with 4wd engaged though.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5