Transmission compatability

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dreaminvader
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4 door Hatch 2wd

Transmission compatability

Post by Dreaminvader »

I'm trying to convert a 1983 automatic hatchback to a manual transmission. I have sourced a 5 speed out of a 2wd wagon from another country. I know this should bolt up, but will the new crossmember from the 2wd wagon bolt up to my hatchback? Any other concerns/input would be greatly appreciated 🙏
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Transmission compatability

Post by NWMO »

Dream,

No experience with 2WD, but I would assume not as the AT and MT surely bolt in differently.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

you could ask on the Facebook page. some of the members there have 2wd auto and manual wagons and might be able to help you. I believe they will be the same as the wagon.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Dreaminvader
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4 door Hatch 2wd

Post by Dreaminvader »

Thanks for the input guys. I still haven't found a definitive answer so I suppose I will buy the transmission and cross my fingers. Surely somebody will buy it off of me if it doesn't work out. Thanks again 👍
Toyotise
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX. 1986 4WD SR5

Post by Toyotise »

Dreaminvader wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:55 am Thanks for the input guys. I still haven't found a definitive answer so I suppose I will buy the transmission and cross my fingers. Surely somebody will buy it off of me if it doesn't work out. Thanks again 👍
Great plan! A decisive man of action. This is how to grow the Tercel4wd knowledge base.
Keep it Stock; Live Long.