Ignition Key

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Richardred2
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel Wagon

Ignition Key

Post by Richardred2 »

Today’s tale: I only had one key for my ‘87 Tercel so I wanted to have another key made.

I went to the Toyota dealership and they said they could not get a key blank for a 1987 Toyota Tercel, however they said if I could find a blank online, then they would cut the key for me.

I bought a Toyota key online ($20)

I brought it to the dealership.

I gave them the VIN.

The dealer then informed me that they were mistaken and they could not cut the key for me because the car was too old for their computers.

The dealer suggested I remove the passenger side door lock cylinder and return with the code emblazoned on the side of the lock cylinder.

That response was frustrating, so on a whim I went to my local hardware store and asked them if they could cut the key since I already had a blank and they said sure.

While I was standing there, out of curiosity, I asked them if they had any key blanks for an old Toyota and the guy went into his Ancient Cabinet and said he had about 15. They are $5 each.

So, I’m letting our page know that key blanks are available here in northern New Jersey. If any of you are in need of an ignition key blank just let me know and I will get one to you. I only ask that you cover the cost of the key blank and mailing (which can’t be much).

Thanks

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Ignition Key

Post by xirdneh »

I recently went to local bicycle/key/lock shop and they made keys for me copying old one.
I have also done the passenger door lock number thing. It’s easy to remove door panel with common flat tip screw driver. Use old tee shirt to snag handle clip loose. Phillips screwdriver for three other screws
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

I have had bad luck with hardware store making keys for Tercels, and older (pre-2000s) cars in general. They find blanks that are close but they aren't quite right and don't work. So now I only go to my local lock and key place, they have the right blanks and the keys work well each time.
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Post by Mogordo »

Thanks Richardred2, I had tried to get a copy made at one hardware store and had the result dlb mentioned. The closest blank they had wasn't close enough. I ended up finding my second key so didn't try again but the one key is very worn and if I lose or break the newer copy I may not be able to get the other copied very well so will probably check somewhere again eventually. I appreciate knowing I have another possible option if I can't find a blank around here.
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.