Drove for 5 miles with the parking brake on.

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
aslich713
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel

Drove for 5 miles with the parking brake on.

Post by aslich713 »

My parking brake light is always on (1983 Toyota Tercel wagon) It’s not an excuse for me being a dummy but I drove for 5 miles and at high speed with the parking brake on. It smelled pretty bad when I finally got to my destination and noticed the mistake I made.

Before I made this mistake I’ve noticed that my parking brake wouldn’t stop my car unless it was aggressively pulled up. The parking brake works much like it did before I drove with it on but should I be concerned? What should I look for when inspecting my brakes. Or would you not worry about it? Thanks
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Drove for 5 miles with the parking brake on.

Post by dlb »

Welcome to the forum, aslich713.

You should definitely inspect the park brake for function, and the rear brakes overall. I would engage the park brake and jack the back end up and look at spot just underneath where the park brake handle is. There is a metal bar there that that the two park brake cables connect to, and that bar should always sit more or less straight across. If it's angled, that means one of the park brake cables is frozen and needs to be replaced. That's the first thing I would look at.

If that's fine, with the park brake still on and the rear end jacked up I would try to spin each rear tire. If one is able to spin at all, that means something is wrong. Possibly the brake shoe auto adjuster is frozen and needs to be lubed, or maybe the shoes are worn way down. Check those things and if they're fine, it might be that the park brake just needs to be adjusted. To do that you remove the trim around the park brake handle, loosen the top 10 mm nut, tighten the lower 10 mm nut, and then snug the top nut against it again. Re-test and make sure neither rear wheel can spin when the park brake is engaged.

Also, why is your brake light always on? Is the brake fluid topped up?

Let us know what you find.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: Drove for 5 miles with the parking brake on.

Post by marlinh »

Hi Aslich, I would also recommend a visual inspection of the shoes to make sure they are not cracked or de-laminated. With the drum off you can do a more thorough check of the park brake lever function. Have a helper apply the e-brake and watch the lever move and make sure it retracts fully. If you have a cable hanging up, the park brake is partially applied and the brake shoes are not in adjustment. Before any adjustment is made on the park brake system, the shoes need to be in proper adjustment (slight drag on the drums) and the levers not partially applied.

Another possibility if you got the brakes extremely hot is damage to the wheel cylinders. Carefully peel the rubber boots back on the cylinders and inspect for brake fluid that leaked by the pistons.

Like dlb said, find out why the light is on. It's a very simple system.