1986 sr5 on bring a trailer

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

1986 sr5 on bring a trailer

Post by dlb »

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-toyota-tercel/

This one has been up for sale several times this year already which always strikes me as a little fishy. Also of note, both the transmission and rear diff appear wet with gear oil. It would be a shame to spend a mint on it and find the trans and/or diff was run with low oil.
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Re: 1986 sr5 on bring a trailer

Post by Jarf »

Clearly you are just being paranoid david, as per the seller:

"To answer @Newplaner’s question: I have checked the oil level regularly for as long as I’ve owned it and it hasn’t changed, I’ve also never smelled any burnt oil. This Tercel is as clean outside as it is on the inside!"

Near as I can figure, his ownership started around the end of July of THIS year
Given the drip thats about to fall off the middle tranny plug, I am having a hard time believing the seller.

The evidence of a longterm oil leak is bad enough, but that quarter panel/dog-leg that gives me pause, it isnt recent damage and the rust is active.
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

That drip hanging off the centre trans drain plug, is priceless
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Wow, it sold for $10,250...in USD! I had assumed it was in CAD since the car is in Canada but nope. So in Canadian, that's over $14k. I hope the buyer is someone who has lots of disposable money and isn't putting themselves into debt for what they believe is going to be a mint car that won't require any work. I hope they are familiar with Tercels and were willing and able to pay that much for a largely rust-free body, regardless of the possibility of unseen problems like a damaged transmission.

It just occurs to me now that these kinds of auctions are a great tool for sellers who don't want to deal with people coming around and looking closely at the car prior to buying it. Because this car was for sale for $8k CAD a few months ago, and there was all sorts of complaining going on online about it. Opening the sale up to a larger audience who can't come kick tires seems like a no brainer. I wonder how much of a cut BaT takes though. Oh, looks like they charge the seller $99, with optional professional photos for an addition $330. The buyer pays an additional 5% on top of the sale price, to a max of $5k. Wow.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Post by Rednecklawrence »

I was going to bid and was willing to go to about $8k CAD because it's relatively close and was the same color as the one I wrecked, but wow that's insane, especially compared to https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983- ... sr5-4wd-5/ that went for less in better shape!
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Car prices can get high in auctions if someone gets really excited. The example was good but needed some work. Hopefully the new owner will repair the dents and addressed leakage issues so he can enjoy his new Tercel for a long time.

I would have a bit higher requirements for 10k USD Tercel but that is what auctions is all about: finding a correct bidder.