Complete rear axle replacement?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
TaosTertel
My tercel:: 1985, AL25, 6spd man.

Complete rear axle replacement?

Post by TaosTertel »

Heyyo! So I had some excitement recently when I took a corner going about 40 mph and my passenger side rear wheel came flying off the car with the brake drum and axle shaft still attached to it, like I said, exciting. Upon inspection I found the housing is cracked so I found a complete rear axle with the housing for roughly $300 near by but now I'm wondering how to swap it. I do most of the work on the car on the ground with a limited amount of tools but I recently got access to a small garage. Any tricks or tips are greatly appreciated.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Complete rear axle replacement?

Post by NWMO »

Just completed this a couple of months ago, not bad. Make sure to SAFELY support the car when swapping. Spray all the bolts/nuts needing removed with a penetrant a few times days before. An impact wrench is useful as well.

Also, confirm your new rear end gearing matches the front. If not, swap the third member (gasket is still available) before putting the replacement rear end under the car. Good wrenching!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
TaosTertel

Post by TaosTertel »

Thanks so much!
On the gear ratio though: how can I find that out without a rear wheel? The Chilton says to mark the wheel and roll the car while counting the rotations of the drive shaft.. I'm guessing I can support the rear end and spin the one good wheel to do this?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

What year is your car and what is the one the new axle is from?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Taos,

Unless I was absolutely certain, I would check it, it’s too easy to do not to. It sounds like you have one wheel on and the other off? I would support the rear end so the tire was on the ground and NOT spinning. I would then use chalk or a piece of tape to mark the differential input shaft and the hub with no wheel. With two known starting points (say both straight up), spin the axle hub/drum (paying attention to which way the pinion shaft spins) 1 revolution. Your input shaft (pinion) will have rotated just over or just under 4 revolutions. If under, it’s a 3.73; if over, it’s a 4.11.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
TaosTertel

Post by TaosTertel »

Cool, thanks Chris. I also wasn't sure if there were more ratios than those two so that's helpful.
And @Mattel they're both the same: 85, 6 speed sr5 wagons
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

1985 was the changeover model year of the ratios. maybe check the month of build
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
TaosTertel

Post by TaosTertel »

Will do. Good to know, thanks!
TaosTertel

Post by TaosTertel »

Update: got the axle swapped in about a half a day thanks to a friend's garage/lift. Thanks for all the pointers!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Nice work, enjoy your car and share some pics of your adventures.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain