Engine tick when warm tercel 86

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Esaus
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 86 Tercel 1.5 Europe

Engine tick when warm tercel 86

Post by Esaus »

Hi!
I drove my car for about 4000km this summer after i renovated the car. I got a slight ticking sound when driving at higher rpms around the end of the journey at highway speeds. The ticking goes away at idle and under lower rpms when driving. I have tried doing the valve lash a couple of times and it havent done much to fix it. I dont really notice it when revving the engine wheni have the bonnet up standing still. Maybe its the sound deddening filtering out all the other noises and the ticking is whats coming through?

The car runs great, no missing or wierd power losses or anything like that. idle is steady and no smoking or anything noticable. if it wasnt for the slight tick it would be a great engine.
It is definetly a ticking sound and i can hear it through the firewall into the cabin when driving. Its somewhat noticable. Im just wondering if many have this issue and if its normal? ive had cars with piston slap and other sounds so i know the difference.

My car has done about 170000km so far so it isnt a high mielage car. My 87 corolla with the 4a engine has a similar tick thats you can notice at times when driving with high rpms, but that car has done 250000km. The sound is less noticable but the car is overall more silent than the tercel anyway so i thought its just the sound deddening that is the difference.
1986 Tercel 4WD, Red, 170000km, restored.
1987 Toyota Corolla Dlx hatchback, 250000km
1988 Toyota Corolla touring 4wd, estate yet to be restored
Paul
Advanced Member

Re: Engine tick when warm tercel 86

Post by Paul »

Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? That might help find the source. Maybe the fuel pump?
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Can you hear engine tick only on highway speeds? Then it could also come from bearings, gearbox etc.

When I try to listen these noises, I will also test engine on same speed on neutral, on highway, clutch pressed etc. If you hear the tick on every single way on high RPM then you know its the engine. But there can be other sources for such a noise. I had engine knocking but it disappeared when I swapped to another fuel pump. So there are lots of possibilities for noises. But stethoscope may help too as Paul suggests.
Esaus
Advanced Member

Post by Esaus »

I hear it when im revving the engine at highway speeds and when i rev it in neutral. I dont get a change when i press the clutch or anything like that. Im currently having the engine out to change alot of gaskets and the clutch. The clutch bearings were noisy and the clutch disc rubber parts were collapsed due to age. I will also try toreplace the input shaft bearing if im able without taking the whole thing apart.

I have a stetoscope so i will be able to check it with that when i have the engine back together.

I checked the cylinder pressure in all cylinders. It was 175 in each cylinder so i dont suspect a broken valve or anything.
Esaus
Advanced Member

Post by Esaus »

I suspect the rattle i had was from the clutch and a slight whining from the bearings. The tick i dont think is from there.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

I only recently learned that some clutches for these cars came with rubber parts. I don't have any firsthand experience with those but I have only heard bad things about them so if possible, I would try to get a more standard, rubber-free clutch unit.

According to xirdneh on this forum (robert walker on youtube and in real life), the most common bearing that fails in the transmission is #4 in his list here, and it requires opening the transmission up.

viewtopic.php?p=102585&hilit=transmissi ... on#p102585

I disassembled and reassembled one of these transmissions for the first time last week using Rob's videos on youtube, it wasn't too bad.
Esaus
Advanced Member

Post by Esaus »

Mine had the rubber parts and i ordered an aisan clutch kit from rockauto that also had rubber blocks in the clutch. I will use this one since its the one i had. The original one is over 30 years old so i wont fault it going bad :P.
The bearing for the transmission that i have is the #4. I also read that its possible to replace it without tearing it apart. I will try to do it without opening it up since i dont have the time to do all this.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Good that you do things properly. You will have more fun with your car in the future.
Esaus
Advanced Member

Post by Esaus »

I just removed the bellhousing at the front of the transmission and the input shaft looks in great shape. Ill replace the seal in the front but i wont replace the bearing since its all in good condition. No marks, play or anything. I will save the bearing for future use since i paid like 80-90 dollars for it shipped to sweden. I might use it for another tercel in the future or when this one is "worn" in hehe. The car has only done 170000 km.

>Edit: I have finished the overhaul for this time. I ordered a new fuel pump to take care of the ticking. It was leaking oil aswell so its on its way out for sure. However with the clutch noise gone i noticed a slight whining noise now. I havent noticed it before the teardown. Its whining when its in neutral and when I press the clutch the noise goes away.... even when i checked the #4 bearing and the surface it must be that bearing after all.....i should have replaced it. I just have to suck it up and pull the tranny once again. This time without taking the engine out however. Im going to try to save the oil in a clean container as i dont want to pay for another 4 liters.

Just a thought might a too tight clutch cable make the throwout bearing touch the clutch ever so slightly and cause it? I tried setting it without much play. Perhaps i need more slack?? The pedal easily had like 2 cm play before and now it might be less than 1cm. Was hard to determine when its engaged or not
Esaus
Advanced Member

Post by Esaus »

This thread went somewhat offtopic. The resolution to the engine tick was replacing the fuel pump. Got a new one from rockauto shipped to sweden and it fixed the issue. Ill save the old one for emergency use since it still worked. Car runs nice and "quiet" now, i added some more sound deddening on the firewall towards the gearbox which helped with overall noise when I had the engine and gearbox out.

The sound i think is related to the gearbox seems more like gear sounds to me when ive driven it for a few days. I had metal in the oil when i first replaced the oil during the renovation. The bearing surface was looking nice and clean and there wasnt much play. I wont touch the gearbox for now. Ill keep my ear to it if it changes in any way in the future however. Might consider using thicker oil.