Wanted Manual Transmission for 2wd swap

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Dreaminvader
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4 door Hatch 2wd

Wanted Manual Transmission for 2wd swap

Post by Dreaminvader »

I currently have a FWD hatch with an automatic transmission. The car only has 91k miles on it and I'm looking for everything to make it a manual transmission. I don't care if it's a 4 speed, 5 or 6 speed it doesn't matter. I need the transmission and all of the other related parts to make this happen. Or a complete parts car if possible. If you have any of these parts or a parts car get a hold of me please. I live in WA state but will travel to Oregon or Idaho if needed. Thanks for your time 🙏
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: Wanted Manual Transmission for 2wd swap

Post by SirFoxx »

there are no 6 speeds. the 5+1 is incompatible with the fwd cars. hardest part is drilling the holes for the clutch box, and successfully removing the clutch cable guide on the firewall. brake booster will also have to get removed to drill holes. if you find the parts and need help, lmk. I converted my 2dr auto into a 4spd manual
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Dreaminvader

Post by Dreaminvader »

Awesome good to know- thank you very much for the info. So far my search is coming up empty for parts :roll: so you are saying I can only use the 4 speed manual transmission?
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

Dreaminvader wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:02 am Awesome good to know- thank you very much for the info. So far my search is coming up empty for parts :roll: so you are saying I can only use the 4 speed manual transmission?
no. the 4 and 5 spd manuals are identical on the outside.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Dreaminvader

Post by Dreaminvader »

So I can use a 5 speed manual just not from a 4wd car?
Dreaminvader

Post by Dreaminvader »

I am going to go grab a manual transmission from a 4wd car this week whether I can use it or not. I'm hoping to be able to use it for this project but if not then it will be a spare for when I get my 4wd car. Anything else I should grab off this car for my conversion? I'm planning on grabbing the clutch pedal and clutch cable and trans. What about the starter? Master cylinder/slave cylinder?? Thanks for any input it's greatly appreciated
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Are you buying a manual Tercel 4wd transmission to a hatchback? Then you will need a bit more stuff and a lot of mods. You will need at least both clutch and brake pedals, whole transmission, clutch cable, rear axle and driveshaft to begin with. Tercel 4wd gearbox has a slot for rear driveshaft and it will leak oil if you put nothing there. So you may as well make a 4wd AL20. Some of them have been already made.

It needs also modding of floor, fuel tank etc. So that won't be the easiest job at all. But with a lot of work you can do it. Or maybe you can block the rear driveshaft hole and put the gearbox in FWD mode but it won't be as fun and you will carry extra weight due to heavier 4wd transmission just because of carrying.

And I don't know if automatic Tercel has same front drive shafts than a 4wd model.