Fuel problem? Timing issue? Won't stay running

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Austin
My tercel:: 1985 4wd Manual

Fuel problem? Timing issue? Won't stay running

Post by Austin »

Having trouble with my 1985 manual wagon. The car sat unused for a bit over 10 years. Started briefly when it was removed from the garage but wasn't driven.
Since bringing it home we've gone through a lot of different parts. Parts replaced include:
Front and rear brake hardware. MR2 break upgrade
Original trans in the car was stuck in gear so it was swapped with another working trans.
Original carburetor was cleaned and rebuilt
New spark plugs and wires and battery
Civic radiator
New coolant temp sensor
Valve cover gasket replaced
New PCV valve
New fuel pump
New air filter
Timing components inspected and are properly aligned
Choke opener and throttle positioner seemed stiff/ bottomed out was replaced with a known working one and was less stiff but still bottomed out once installed
All vacuum hoses have been replaced and checked for routing.
Fuel line in the engine bay all replaced

Have tried with the distributor gear dots lined up as per factory manual as well as tried slight adjustments either direction and always seem to be fully advanced/ retarded on the mounting bolt adjustment to run decently. Still only way it will "run" is having the idle set 3000rpm & soon as it drops below that it bogs down and dies unless given throttle/gas. Usually only runs for a minute or so at most before dying.
Looking for any insight what might be causing this to so quickly, read through alot on here and the Facebook group but nothing seemed to be the fix.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Fuel problem? Timing issue? Won't stay running

Post by dlb »

I don't see fuel filter in your list of work done. If you haven't done that it's the first thing I would do. Make sure to get a clear one so you can see if the tank is puking rust and junk. After sitting for 10 years, that's quite possible.

Welcome to the forum!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

Austin wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:52 pm Having trouble with my 1985 manual wagon. The car sat unused for a bit over 10 years. Started briefly when it was removed from the garage but wasn't driven.
Since bringing it home we've gone through a lot of different parts. Parts replaced include:
Front and rear brake hardware. MR2 break upgrade
Original trans in the car was stuck in gear so it was swapped with another working trans.
Original carburetor was cleaned and rebuilt
New spark plugs and wires and battery
Civic radiator
New coolant temp sensor
Valve cover gasket replaced
New PCV valve
New fuel pump
New air filter
Timing components inspected and are properly aligned
Choke opener and throttle positioner seemed stiff/ bottomed out was replaced with a known working one and was less stiff but still bottomed out once installed
All vacuum hoses have been replaced and checked for routing.
Fuel line in the engine bay all replaced

Have tried with the distributor gear dots lined up as per factory manual as well as tried slight adjustments either direction and always seem to be fully advanced/ retarded on the mounting bolt adjustment to run decently. Still only way it will "run" is having the idle set 3000rpm & soon as it drops below that it bogs down and dies unless given throttle/gas. Usually only runs for a minute or so at most before dying.
Looking for any insight what might be causing this to so quickly, read through alot on here and the Facebook group but nothing seemed to be the fix.
do fuel filter first, however more than likely the idle circuit is clogged and the carb will need a rebuild, assuming someone hasnt trashed the vacuum system. also look for any major vacuum leaks as well.

if you do decide to do a rebuild, if you want I can rebuild it for ~$100, kit included in the price. I have good success so far with the rebuilds.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Austin
My tercel:: 1985 4wd Manual

Post by Austin »

Fuel filter has been replaced and carb was clean and rebuilt. What do you mean by idle circuit? Vacuum lines have all been replaced.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

Austin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:57 am Fuel filter has been replaced and carb was clean and rebuilt. What do you mean by idle circuit? Vacuum lines have all been replaced.
idle circuit is apart of the carb. its what meters the fuel for idle. who did the clean and rebuild, and how was it cleaned?
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Esaus
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 86 Tercel 1.5 Europe

Post by Esaus »

I had a similar issue with my tercel that also sat for 10ish years. I fully renovated the carb and everything and it ran great....until i went to the mot and drove it a few km and the car died. Could barely get it going. Turns out the fuel in the tank had dissolved alot of gunk and water was in there that formed a sort of yellowish orange gunk type jelly that clogged the carb.

Take out the carb and check the inside for water contamination. I had similar issues you are describing. Fully emptying the fuel tank and cleaning all the hoses worked. Check the fuel line sock inside the tank if its clogged and cant pick up enough fuel to keep it running.
1986 Tercel 4WD, Red, 170000km, restored.
1987 Toyota Corolla Dlx hatchback, 250000km
1988 Toyota Corolla touring 4wd, estate yet to be restored
Esaus
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 86 Tercel 1.5 Europe

Post by Esaus »

Check the accelerator pump if its squirting fuel when you press in the pedal or pump the carb. If it isnt squirting there isnt fuel coming through. It was how i diagnosed i wasnt getting fuel to the carb and the accelerator pump curcuit was clogged.
1986 Tercel 4WD, Red, 170000km, restored.
1987 Toyota Corolla Dlx hatchback, 250000km
1988 Toyota Corolla touring 4wd, estate yet to be restored