Help! Looking for who built my 4age Tercel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
RekItRex
My tercel:: ‘86 Toyota Tercel SR5, 4age swap

Help! Looking for who built my 4age Tercel

Post by RekItRex »

Hi all!
I bought this lovely Tercel a few years ago with little hands on knowledge about Tercels. I absolutely love this car but I’m having a hard time finding parts, and part of that is due to not knowing the year of the engine. I bought the car from a lady in Victoria BC, who had bought it from a friend of a friend in Vancouver BC. This friend of a friend swapped it with a 16v 4age engine (as far as I know, I wish I asked more about the car history, but I was inexperienced). I’ve done some digging and I think the engine is from a 1983 Corolla, but I’m not entirely sure. If anyone on here knows how to identify which year my engine is from, or if anyone knows who swapped it, let me know! The Tercel has become a project and sat for a while and is in need of some love. I am a mechanic and capable of working on the car myself, however I am still learning (especially about Tercels) and could use some pointers in the right direction.
I appreciate any and all advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Help! Looking for who built my 4age Tercel

Post by dlb »

Welcome to the forum. Are you a member of the 4wd Tercel facebook group? It's more active than this forum, you might have more luck tracking down whoever swapped the engine on there.

Where in BC are you?
RekItRex

Post by RekItRex »

I am not, I will check it out.
I'm on Vancouver Island.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Right on. I'm in the Cowichan Valley. Let me know if you ever need any help. I'm useless with anything 4age-related but am very familiar with most of the stock components of these cars.
RekItRex

Post by RekItRex »

Oh no way! I am as well. Thanks, I'm sure I'll run into challenging moments one way or another. :)
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

i remember when this was for sale originally. didnt used to have the stripes.

4age swaps are rare -- theres only a very few of us that have done it, myself included. The motor in yours should be a basic big port blue top 4age.

what parts are you looking for?
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
RekItRex

Post by RekItRex »

Oh nice!
It is a blue top, just unsure of the exact year. I’ve just been calling it a 1983 when looking for parts, and hoping for the best. I’m currently searching for a water pump, however I’m not having any luck with my local parts suppliers. Any online recommendations?
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

RekItRex wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:01 pm Oh nice!
It is a blue top, just unsure of the exact year. I’ve just been calling it a 1983 when looking for parts, and hoping for the best. I’m currently searching for a water pump, however I’m not having any luck with my local parts suppliers. Any online recommendations?
is your water pump pulley 3 bolt or 4 bolt? And i would search under 1985 mr2 for the engine. 1983 was the very first year for that motor, and there were weird one off parts used only early on.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
RekItRex

Post by RekItRex »

It’s four bolts.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll try that instead.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sounds like you got a great set up, doing a 4age swap is a big job with lots of details, and special cutom parts, to make it all work together.

there is a 4age forum on line, I suggest you go join it and they can identify the exact year and car it came out of likely from the serial number stamped on the block. Both the MR2 version and the Corolla GTS version of 4age have been adapted to fit the Tercel, they are essentially the same engine, but the intake and exhaust manifold are very different, as is the location of the alternator, power steering pump, and the coolant outlets (that may affect the water pump). if your intake manifold inlet is faces the front of the car (near the radiator), it was from a RWD Corolla GTS, if the inlet is facing the fire wall, it was likely from the MR2 (transverse installation), and many of the external parts may be different.

I have a long term project 4age swap I have been working on for years (mostly it sits), and I know my engine came from a 1985 RWD corolla GTS. it helps when ording parts to know this.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)