Removal of Tailgate Strut Supports

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
RootsandStars
My tercel:: '85 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4 All stock and waiting for upgrades and improvements!

Removal of Tailgate Strut Supports

Post by RootsandStars »

I have tried several methods to remove these supports. There is no convenient clip that can be removed with a screwdriver.

Some are suggesting to remove the ball from the hatchback frame but I am reluctant to do this as I am not a mechanic with lots of tools to repair my mistakes.

How do you all remove these stock supports? They are not coming off easy and I don't want to screw it up any more than it already is.

Thanks!!
~ Danielle ~
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Removal of Tailgate Strut Supports

Post by dlb »

You must remove the nuts at the end of the lift supports from the car. I believe they are 12 mm. Use a piece of lumber to prop the trunk fully open and undo the nuts at both ends of the lift support. Then just thread the new ones in. It's an low effort/high reward fix, very satisfying when you don't have to hold the dang trunk open.
RootsandStars
My tercel:: '85 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4 All stock and waiting for upgrades and improvements!

Post by RootsandStars »

dlb wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:54 pm You must remove the nuts at the end of the lift supports from the car. I believe they are 12 mm. Use a piece of lumber to prop the trunk fully open and undo the nuts at both ends of the lift support. Then just thread the new ones in. It's an low effort/high reward fix, very satisfying when you don't have to hold the dang trunk open.
I have them removed and I have found 2 replacements with the hardware on Amazon ($20 for a set from china... buy local and pay $70! :roll: )

Now the question is : Should the replacement parts come assembled or do I put the sockets on the ball myself ? and are they meant to be put together and not come apart like the supports from the factory?

Here are the links to what I have found:

Cheap from china : https://www.amazon.com/BOXI-Tailgate-Su ... ota+Tercel
Napa Overpriced: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ATM1072 ... sionRank=1
~ Danielle ~
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Oh my bad, I forgot that the replacements come with the balls separate. For those, you screw the ball into the car, place the socket over it, and slide the clip into place. The clips are pretty tight so it's a little annoying but not too bad.
RootsandStars

Post by RootsandStars »

dlb wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:51 pm Oh my bad, I forgot that the replacements come with the balls separate. For those, you screw the ball into the car, place the socket over it, and slide the clip into place. The clips are pretty tight so it's a little annoying but not too bad.
Thank You! I am happy to get results here faster than Reddit, FB, or any other forum I have tried.

You are Awesome.... keep it up. 8)
~ Danielle ~
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Good job David!
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain