Going to the scrapyard, what should I take?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Zidderser
My tercel:: 1987 Al25 DLX 3AC 71HP

Going to the scrapyard, what should I take?

Post by Zidderser »

Hi! As ”subject” says, are there some ”known” parts that often decay that it might be good to have a replacement ready for?

//Gabriel
"Pleasure is spread through the earth in stray gifts to be claimed by whomever shall find"

Source: Ash Bandicoot (random guy I found looking through comments on Facebook)

Greetings From Sweden :D
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Re: Going to the scrapyard, what should I take?

Post by Mogordo »

One that comes to mind for me is front window regulator. From what I can tell from my car and from others messages the front regulators frequently get stripped/bent/and such if they aren't maintained/lubricated. A lot of them can be repaired if you know what to do and they aren't too far gone but if you happen to find one that works smoothly I think it would be worth having around. And I don't how involved you want to get but transmissions are a big one as parts are often no longer made. Some parts off 2wd are compatible also.
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Gabriel,

I would want to test the transmission some, but that’s the biggie for me. Obviously, the clinometer if there, drivers door regulator. TVSV and other vac related parts as well as fuses, relays, etc. I would also grab the two cast iron pieces that help stabilize the transmission and engine together, particularly the drivers side, it’s easily broken. Gauge cluster with tach. It requires access and a puller, but the harmonic balancer would be good as well. carb?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Things that are difficult or impossible to find new that I would consider grabbing at a wrecker:

transmission
carb
distributor
tvsv
radiator
inclinometer
seats, if they're in good condition
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Previous writers have given already many good items to grab that I agree also.

How similar and which model year is the wrecker car? There are two different transmission gear ratios in Tercels: 82-84 & 85-88. It means that you don't want to put 1983 gearbox to 1987 wagon with original 1987 rear differential together. Therefore, I want always to buy both rear axle and transmission from same car so 4wd will work flawlessly if you need to swap gearbox to your car.

Rear axle has also shafts and some drum brake hardware, which are good to have and hard to find otherwise. So the whole rear axle is a good catch along with a transmission

Driveshaft between gearbox and differential and CV joints are also good to have. They can wear out too.

And a spare generator and starter are good to have in case one of them wears out. You can't find these very easily from common spare part stores anymore so you want to have both ones as a spare lying around in your garage.