Options for rustproofing and lube

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Phatcat
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Options for rustproofing and lube

Post by Phatcat »

Hello Tercel folks,

I’ve experimented with a variety of different ways and products to prevent rust and corrosion on my old Toyota’s. Despite WA not being a huge rust problem state, the frequent rain and humidity here add up and cause havoc at a slower but steady pace. Under coating, fluid film, POR 15, plain old Rustoleum paint.. Recently I was watching one of those fancy shows on Motor Trend where they were installing new leafs on an even fancier jeep. Prior to installation they coated the leafs in a product called “Slip Plate”, rather than paint, powder, or the like… Slip plate is a graphite spray/or paint on product. It comes in aerosol or gallon jug form. They revered it as the all mighty best in lubrication and corrosion prevention. Of course, I was skeptical, but after a few YouTube videos my curiosity got the better of me and I ordered some expensive spray cans the next day for use at the salmon hatchery I live and work at, as we constantly have an abundance of uses for this type of product. We used it on our John Deere riding mower in the chute and undercarriage to prevent grass clogs and build up. Awesome. On the forklift. Awesome. Doors in the creek that are submerged in water. Awesome. It’s not cheap at $18 per can and about $78 a gallon.. Turns out though, the stuff is actually incredible. It’s everything they claimed. It is completely hydrophobic and dries in little time leaving a gray coat of yummy slick graphite that lubricates dry and protects really well. So if you’re doing anything underneath your Tercel (suspension, steering, even brake calipers maybe), I’d try slip plate. Also, the cans go further than I expected, but, wipe the nozzle hole with some acetone or whatever before storing away partial cans, as it can clog. It doesn’t let anything stick to the surface at all, because it’s dry. So it’s great for simply coating a frame or something we don’t want corroding, but also lubricates like a dream. Anyway, I wanted to share something I learned as everyone here has been great helping me get my new to me Tercel in good working order. Thanks

JJ in WA
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Options for rustproofing and lube

Post by NWMO »

Thanks JJ!!

I will have to give this stuff a try. I know I want something dry gor my sunroof when I get the Toad on the road.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain