84 Tercel Petros’ brake upgrade

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Phatcat
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD

84 Tercel Petros’ brake upgrade

Post by Phatcat »

I’ve ordered all the parts to do the 86MR2/92Tercel brake upgrade detailed by Petros here and Luke on YouTube. Any word on where to get the 1/8” spacers lately? I’m short on time for awhile and would rather pay versus make some spacers. Plus my brakes could use freshness as it is, so an ideal time to get this done. I’ll check Napa for spacers as that option was mentioned in the op thread I believe. Let me know. Please and thanks.

JJ in Issaquah WA
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 84 Tercel Petros’ brake upgrade

Post by NWMO »

Scott Whitney (Facebook) was making some, look great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Phatcat
Advanced Member

Post by Phatcat »

Yep, special thanks to Scott and Luke for getting me a set mailed out. I ordered my parts from Rock Auto and will put these spacers to good use asap. We won’t make it this year to Colorado (I believe is the location), but hope to meet everyone sometime at a meet and greet sometime. I’m also gonna be overhauling the rear drums on this car at some point. The PO removed the self adjusters and I want to get all that working in order. JJ
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Phatcat wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:31 pmI’m also gonna be overhauling the rear drums on this car at some point. The PO removed the self adjusters and I want to get all that working in order. JJ
How can the rear brakes even function at all without the adjusters? You'd have to manually adjust them constantly then.

Some people and their "fixes." Incredible.
Phatcat
Advanced Member

Post by Phatcat »

Yeah, I was annoyed when he told me what he’d done. He’s a good guy, but one of these people that owned an old car that got lots of attention, but never really took time to actually care for the car properly. It’s dumb luck really that it’s in such good shape. A guy that thinks because O’Reillys doesn’t have a part, that there’s no way to get it. The brakes work, but yes, they require periodic adjustment to be fully functional. I’ll get them working and fixed up here..
Phatcat
Advanced Member

Post by Phatcat »

I finished my front brake upgrade last night. Everything went smoothly and fit appropriately. Something I found is that you must be aware of wheel spacing as well. My car came with the stock Tercel wheels in the back hatch unmounted, so currently it’s mounted with some older Acura Integra aluminum mag wheels. Yeah, that’s gonna change soon hopefully.. Anyways, my spacing is a slight difference and while I don’t foresee any issues, I definitely had less threads to capture with my lug nuts because of the added 1/8” spacers. I puckered up reassembling when putting the wheels on, but we were able to spin them on and suck it in to grab enough threads to torque up to 80 ftlbs safely. Next I’ll be examining the rear drums and likely rebuilding that situation, so I actually have rear brakes.
Phatcat
Advanced Member

Post by Phatcat »

I tore into the rear drums today to see what things look like. Not as bad as I’d expected. Had a clogged bleeder. But I do need to source a set of self adjuster hardware for this car. Rock Auto and Parts Geek list them, but only for the FWD vehicles, not the 4WD. So, the big question is whether or not the FWD and 4WD are the same??? Thanks for any info. I did adjust the drums though and have a solid e brake now and actual working rear brakes. But that’s just until they wear down a bit. I need those adjusters the PO removed.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

I bet they are the same but in case they're not, I'd just find a used set from someone here or on the 4wd Tercel facebook group. There are lots of us with parts car, and self-adjusters are not a highly sought after part so I'm sure many would be happy to hook you up with a pair.
Phatcat
Advanced Member

Post by Phatcat »

Absolutely, that was kinda my thoughts as well. Got any you wanna mail to Washington? I’m willing to PayPal, Venmo, or whatever.. I’ll post to the FB group as well. It looks like I may have to breakdown and create a FB page. Had one many many moons ago, but I’d bet it’s been over 10 years. I can use my wife’s though. Thanks
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

I don't, sorry! No parts cars right now. I bet Robert Walker on the fb group has some though, and he is in WA too. His username here is xirdneh but he doesn't post here as much now.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have bought a complete rear brake hardware kit, including the adjustors, for the 4wd wagon on Rockauto in the past. other on line parts suppliers may have them, try ebay motors perhaps.

I would think the older, RWD corolla (about 1980?) should be the same part, because this is the same rear axle in the T4wd as the RWD corolla. you can cross reference by checking the rear brake shoe, rear drum, and rear wheel cylinder perhaps, they list what cars these parts will fit in the "info" link.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Phatcat
Advanced Member

Post by Phatcat »

I will look into it. Thanks.