radiator

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: radiator

Post by Petros »

I just ordered the MHT 433813 from O'Reilly on line. got 20 percent off for mothers day too!

the picture showed the same plastic top and bottom tanks, but in the description it stated both the cooling fins and the head tanks are aluminum. hopefully that is what shows up.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I look forward to your report! If you’re pleased, I may buy one to put on the shelf for the future.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

i may pick one up as well. 20% off 125+, ship to home. if i dont use it on a 2nd gen, the turbo tercel may benefit from an all aluminum rad.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

NWMO wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:47 am I look forward to your report! If you’re pleased, I may buy one to put on the shelf for the future.
yup, that is my plan. I don't need a radiator right now, I already have several spare used plastic/alum radiators in my parts inventory I got from PicknPull. But I want a good one that will last a long time. seems any radiators for these cars can be hit and miss when you go to buy one new. I also have a my long running 4age Tercel swap project car in my garage, that I want to use the all Alum radiator for. Heck, I should buy two as spares (I can hear my wife now "why do you keep buying radiators for your Tercel?"...err, I need them :oops: ). I am currently losing some coolant a little at a time on my daily driver T4wd, not the head gasket (that is almost new from a recent complete 4ac overhaul), and I am thinking it is likely that same radiator gasket at the plastic tank/aluminum interface as I have had leak twice on our civic radiator. I can not find where I am losing coolant, it is not a big deal yet, may just be normal evaporation through the coolant recovery tank. but I am now leery of loosing any coolant using these plastic radiators.

there are a few race supply outfits that have large universal welded aluminum radiators that you select by size from their standard listing, and than you have to make the mounts and adapt it to your car. looks like a good heavy duty alternative, but they cost in the $300-500 price range, Summit racing even has one with a built in 12v fan and shoud for abouit $500. This one is just a 13"x22" two row, aluminum model that can work:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-2-58185-x
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Peter,

My last “slow leak” was a tiny one one a heater core hose. I finally noticed it, but it took a while.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

NWMO wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:20 pm My last “slow leak” was a tiny one one a heater core hose. I finally noticed it, but it took a while.
I had one of those once too. it was a tiny pin hole leak, when it was warm it just shot a tiny stream of steam out and it was hard to notice it. when cold it did not leak at all. one day with the engine partly warmed up I happened to open the hood, and I was lucky to see a tiny stream of water spraying out next to the hose clamp.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

It arrived! It is all aluminum. Looks pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Peter!

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Wow!

Hopefully other spare part stores start selling these as well. I have now good plastic radiators but thats what I call an improvement.