Lost all electrical components

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mr.gristle
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 4WD no mods yet just getting ahead of potential problems with a ton of preventative maintenance

Lost all electrical components

Post by Mr.gristle »

Beginning to think I've acquired my first electrical nightmare toyota...and I've had a lot. Shut my car off at a family get together after driving about 25 miles. A few hours later I attempted to leave but had no power anywhere except the key in ignition buzzer, dome light and the door ajar indicator. Had about 2 hours of daylight so I disconnected every ground, cleaned them and reinstalled. Disassembled the rectangular junction on the positive side of the battery and cleaned everything within. Terminal clamps are 3 months old and spotless. The car now still has no power but with the key turned to the 'on' position the tach jumps up to 1200 and stays there. Before I dig into the steering column I was wondering if anyone has had this happen and if so what was the fix. Thanks in advance
Mr.gristle
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 4WD no mods yet just getting ahead of potential problems with a ton of preventative maintenance

Re: Lost all electrical components

Post by Mr.gristle »

So I jumped the gun a bit. There is a ground down low that runs from the transmission bell housing to the body. I didn't see it because it had broken off at the body side and was swept under the car. Replaced it with a stranded flat cable from dorman and she fired right up. But knowing that these wires are 30+ years old when I got home today I replaced every single one, the bolts that secured them and about 8 feet of wire sheathing that was brittle and I had stripped off looking for some kind of obvious damage
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Lost all electrical components

Post by dlb »

I was wondering what the cause of this could possibly be. Can't believe you found it yet again. You are already the Tercel electrical gremlin guru!