Asking for trouble (crankshaft pulley removal)

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: Asking for trouble (crankshaft pulley removal)

Post by rer233 »

I've done it that way multiple times- works great!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

rer233 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:25 pm I've done it that way multiple times- works great!
Great, thanks Rich! I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Rich, I just thought of another important question: how did you torque the crank pulley bolt back on?
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

David- I have a chain wrench I wrap around the crank pulley (after taping a section of old fan belt around the pulley to keep the chain from marring the pulley grooves) to keep the engine from rotating while I tighten the crank bolt. If you don't have a chain wrench (assuming you're working on a M/T car) you should be able to put the tranny in first gear and get a helper to put their foot (firmly) on the brake pedal to keep the engine from rotating while you torque the bolt.

Good Luck!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Those both sound like good options. Thanks again Rich!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

David,

A length if nylon rope on top of a piston will do the trick as well. Just make sure you have enough rope to keep a foot or more out :)
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

dlb wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:47 pm
atoyta wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:46 pm I have always used a 1/2" breaker bar against the frame & utilized the starter to crank it loose.
Today I started on replacing the cam and crank seals, and timing belt on my latest Tercel. I got stuck at removing the crank pulley bolt, even with my impact gun it didn't budge. I looked up xirdneh's video on this and he used a tool he made just for this job. I was going to go that route too but just saw the above post, and wonder if anyone else has gone this route. Seems like the easiest method, just wondering why more people haven't mentioned it here.

How big of an impact gun? I had to buy a really big one (I think it's 600 lbs) from Sears back when for the 3VZ out of the Camry, nothing else would budge it!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

I'm not sure, all the info is worn off of it after many years of loyal service! It's electric though, and definitely not the strongest impact wrench around, but it usually busts lug nuts and big old bolts free pretty quick.

I used the starter/breaker bar trick to get the crank pulley bolt off and it worked instantly. Love it. Then used the rope in the cylinder trick for getting the crank pulley back on. Everything went pretty smoothly actually, for a nice change, lol. The pulley was stuck on pretty good but I just kept tapping it with a rubber mallet and it gradually worked its way off.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Good work David!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Ace
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '83 DLX 4WD Tercel wagon 3AC

Post by Ace »

dlb wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:47 pm
atoyta wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:46 pm I have always used a 1/2" breaker bar against the frame & utilized the starter to crank it loose.
Today I started on replacing the cam and crank seals, and timing belt on my latest Tercel. I got stuck at removing the crank pulley bolt, even with my impact gun it didn't budge. I looked up xirdneh's video on this and he used a tool he made just for this job. I was going to go that route too but just saw the above post, and wonder if anyone else has gone this route. Seems like the easiest method, just wondering why more people haven't mentioned it here.
Years ago when I replaced the timing belt on my Tercel, I had a really hard time getting the crankshaft pulley bolt loose. I ended up making a bolt-on bracket like in xirdneh's video at 5:10 although I thought up the idea on my own before the video was made. I didn't have an impact wrench. Cranking with the starter sounds like a good idea, if it doesn't risk breaking something?