Differences concerning parts? Europe & USA

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Zidderser
My tercel:: 1987 Al25 DLX 3AC 71HP

Differences concerning parts? Europe & USA

Post by Zidderser »

Hi, I was wondering if there is any difference between the markets, as I am looking for parts it might be good to know!
"Pleasure is spread through the earth in stray gifts to be claimed by whomever shall find"

Source: Ash Bandicoot (random guy I found looking through comments on Facebook)

Greetings From Sweden :D
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Re: Differences concerning parts? Europe & USA

Post by Nordical25 »

Hi RetroGrade,

there are many differences between many markets but parts are still pretty interchangeable with minor mods. US and European Tercels have different wiring so electrical parts like instrument cluster may be a bit different. US Tercels have a lot of emission stuff and accesories that European Tercels don't have.

However, I think that your Swedish Tercel could have a catalytic converter, am I right? That could be same part to US Tercels but Swedish Tercels have point ignition meanwhile American Tercels have electrical ignition. Putting an electrical ignition from an US Tercel is still a very easy mod.

All in all, there are similarities and differencies. What parts are you looking for?
Zidderser
My tercel:: 1987 Al25 DLX 3AC 71HP

Post by Zidderser »

Hi Nordical25!
I see, Finland, nice country :)

as of now I need to purchase a clutch kit, probably the flywheel and some bearings. So nothing electrical at least,
and yea, I`m quite sure I got a catalytic converter, havent checked actually but the law was established 88 that all cars had to have one, so probably but if yours do, so should mine.

thanks for the response!
//Gabriel
"Pleasure is spread through the earth in stray gifts to be claimed by whomever shall find"

Source: Ash Bandicoot (random guy I found looking through comments on Facebook)

Greetings From Sweden :D
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Hi Gabriel,

Yes I am from Finland. Thanks. I have been as well several times to Sweden and it is a nice country too.

In this case you can order parts without any problems from Rockauto. Tercel transmission is pretty much identical in all continents. Only thing to avoid is to order Automatic transmission or FWD transmission parts. They can be a bit different.

Actually Finnish Tercels do not have catalytic converters. Somehow our Tercels were really basic ones. I have one of the best equipped Finnish Tercels (RV special) and that includes only sunroof, factory tinted rear windows and black plaid seats. Luckily I did find a tacho cluster to it from Sweden because our Tercels never had even tacho cluster. I think that Swedish late model Tercels have also cables for fuel hatch release and for hatch release. So you had more luxurious Tercels in Sweden.

You are welcome. I try to help as good as I can.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the clutch kits should be the same as the north American models and European models. be wary however, many of the aftermarket kits parts do not fit correctly. they often have a poorly made pressure plate assembly that fails early, or the clutch disk is too thick and it will not disengage until it wears down some. Also, do not install Chinese made throw-out bearings or pilot bearings, some are okay, but many fail early and you have to pull it all out again to replace it. it is not worth the risk.

The best is the factory original brand of clutch; Aisin, made in Japan. I ordered a kit that stated Aisin but it came with a Luk disk (made in South Africa), and Chinese bearings. I threw away the cheap bearings and bought quality Japanese made throw out and pilot bearings (I have had the cheap ones fail after only a year, and had to pull it out to fix it), the good bearings did not cost much. the Luk disk was the proper thickness as I measured it, quality looked okay. But after I got it back together it would not fully disengage, made shifting a bit of a nuisance, and getting into gear when it is cold a lot of effort. So it may have been slightly thicker than the stock one. However after about 3-4 months of driving now it is not as bad, but be wary of after market off brand parts. If you can find it, staying with the same manufacturer that the factory used is usually the best quality you can find. though I have also had good luck with USA made aftermarket parts, as well as other Japanese made after market parts.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)