I got a -87, should i buy parts made for older ones ex -85?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Zidderser
My tercel:: 1987 Al25 DLX 3AC 71HP

I got a -87, should i buy parts made for older ones ex -85?

Post by Zidderser »

Hi guys, my first post here! I own a -87 and am looking for a clutch kit, i found these two. however i read somewhere that i should buy parts for older models, example -85 because parts for the hatch (i assume is 3rd gen, and began production in -87) dont overlap with the wagon (which also was made in -87?) but then i assume wagon is always 2gen? is this correct? (sorry for all the confusion)

and does this mean that i should always go for parts made before -87?

if this is correct, i should buy link 1 and not 2?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 78&jsn=978 (link 1)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 69&jsn=869 (link 2)

I live in europe if that does change anything!

All help is greatly welcome! :)
Last edited by Zidderser on Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Pleasure is spread through the earth in stray gifts to be claimed by whomever shall find"

Source: Ash Bandicoot (random guy I found looking through comments on Facebook)

Greetings From Sweden :D
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: I got a -87, should i buy parts made for older ones ex -85?

Post by dlb »

Welcome to the forum, RetroGrade. I'm not sure if Europe had the same problem with overlapping generations but yes, here in North America it's often best to say your 1987 al25 is one of the earlier production years so that you don't accidentally end up with parts for a 3rd gen car. The 87 I just bought actually came with some spare parts but surprise surprise, some of those spare parts were for a 3rd gen! They had been bought online and there was no way to return them so I gave them away locally.

To answer your other question, almost all the parts in the 4wd wagons are interchangeable regardless of year. The transmission/diff ratios changed between 84 and 85, same with the grill and headlights, but again that's here in North America so it might be different in Sweden.

In case you're interested, here's a fairly complete list of changes to North American al25's over the years: viewtopic.php?t=8595
Zidderser
My tercel:: 1987 Al25 DLX 3AC 71HP

Post by Zidderser »

Thank you! I assume you ment my 1987 al25 is one of the older* production years?

Thanks for the list!
Okey then i go for the one with 4.1:1
transmission/diff gear ratio for manual trans: 3.73:1 for '83-'84. 4.1:1 for '85-'88.

One final question: on rockauto, when looking under the year 1987, it says 1BBL sometimes, does that mean the al25 is NOT a 1BBL?
"Pleasure is spread through the earth in stray gifts to be claimed by whomever shall find"

Source: Ash Bandicoot (random guy I found looking through comments on Facebook)

Greetings From Sweden :D
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Yes, earlier or older. Always search for parts using 85’ or 86’ as the year.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain