ISO Fuel Tank *CANADA*

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
LtsNelson
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

ISO Fuel Tank *CANADA*

Post by LtsNelson »

Hello from Nelson, BC! I’m on the look out for a fuel tank, for my 1986 SR5. I’m wondering if there is anyone from Canada that has a non-rusted one for sale?! Currently, my tank has a leak in it and am getting an air lock, which is causing my car to lose prime and stall…

Would love to find a new tank! Cheers,

Linh
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: ISO Fuel Tank *CANADA*

Post by dlb »

I'm not saying you don't need a new tank (a leak is pretty definitive, lol) but I'm curious about your air lock and stalling -- are you sure it's air lock causing it? How did you diagnose that? I only ask because I've found air lock to be exceedingly rare, and there are plenty of more common causes of stalling with these carbs.

On the topic of leaking gas tanks, do you know where the leak is on the tank? I had one with pinholes on the top of the tank due to rust, I was able to repair it pretty easily. There are kits for this kind of thing now too (I haven't tried this one though):

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/perm ... 3701p.html
LtsNelson

Post by LtsNelson »

Good morning! Thanks for your reply.

I talked to a friend, and he suggested that because i only fill my tank half way (Because of the leak in the tank - not sure where it is). My Fuel pick up is either blocked or broken...causing the fuel to get cut off. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with an air lock...fuel pick up sensor might be faulty?

I have:

cleaned the carb with carb cleaner
put seafoam in my tank
changed fuel filter
new pump.

I have yet to find the leak, the old owner just told me to fill it half way, but I might just have to take it apart and have a look.

I also might suspect clogged fuel lines, picking up debris from the tank when I let it gets too low.

I love this car, but this stalling in random places is driving me nuts! I am able to get it going by priming it again (via gas in the carb) pedal to the floor, and it gets firing - but would like to find a permanent fix, and figured I start with the gas tank.
Cheers, let me know what you think!

Linh
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

The gas tank is fairly easy to drop so I would drop it first and find where the leak is coming from. The tank I had that leaked also only leaked when it was full as well. Here is the thread on that, with pictures of what I did. I basically just cleaned off the top of the tank and found the holes, then patched them with JB weld. It worked well and held up for as long as I had the car.

viewtopic.php?t=9867

I would definitely take care of that first, then look into the stalling more. Unless your fuel filter was visibly rusty I would lean away from the tank or clogged lines being the source of the stalling. Could be as simple as a vacuum leak, or maybe the carb needs to be disassembled and cleaned. Need more info to determine that though, so when does it stall?
LtsNelson

Post by LtsNelson »

Thanks for the tip! Will def. drop the tank when the weather is nice!

The car stalls when I'm going uphill in low gears. Sometimes I can keep it going by putting into neutral and giving it gas, otherwise it stalls and loses prime, so I have to put some gas in the carb to get it going. I brought it to a mechanic who cleaned the carb with cleaner, and have also put seafoam in my tank. Vacuum leak...how do I figure this one out?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

I'm afraid spraying carb cleaner and running seafoam in the gas won't do much. It might clean a small amount of deposits out of the carb but if your car is stalling, the problem will be bigger than a bit of gunk.

Changing the fuel filter is good, that's the first thing I would have tried too.

What are the rpm at when the engine stalls out? Does this only happen when the engine is cold or warm, or does it happen regardless of the engine temp?

Vacuum leaks can occur from any hose that is not connected properly, or loose carb mounting nuts, damaged carb gaskets, loose intake manifold bolts, etc. It's always a good idea to trace all the vacuum hoses according to the sticker on the underside of the hood and make sure they are going to the right spots. For hoses that go to devices with diaphragms, it's important to suck on the diaphragm hoses and make sure they hold vacuum. If they don't, you should disconnect and plug that hose. And make sure the carb mounting nuts are snug (don't overtighten them though, of course). I would start with those.
LtsNelson

Post by LtsNelson »

---What are the rpm at when the engine stalls out? Does this only happen when the engine is cold or warm, or does it happen regardless of the engine temp?----

It usually stalls when I'm driving, or starting up a hill. The engine is usually warm, although it has stalled when I drive it before warming up the engine.
RPMS are usually between 1000-2000 when this happens.

Thanks for your input! Where in BC are you??