Drum brake hardware kit

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Paul
Advanced Member

Drum brake hardware kit

Post by Paul »

I feel compelled to post this so others may not repeat this mistake. I have a 1988 T4, and installed the Raybestos H17196 rear brake hardware kit. I have trusted this company for many years and was comfortable using their parts. I noticed the anchor (lower) spring was a bit larger, but felt the kit was an improvement to my rusted originals. After a short test drive, I knew something was wrong. The larger, lower spring turned a nice groove in my drums, ruining them in the process.
I contacted Rockauto explaining the problem, thinking the application note might be incorrect... they promptly sent me another H17196 kit. That was nice... maybe I'll hang it on the wall as a reminder.
I also contacted Raybestos, but they did not respond.
Now Im looking back at the different manufacturers kits on Rockauto, and see several offering kits that appear to include both large and small lower anchor springs. Too late for me, but maybe a few T4 folks will be wiser after reading this.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Drum brake hardware kit

Post by dlb »

I initially thought it might be due to your '88 being firmly in the production years of the third gen Tercels, but I just checked the part # on rock auto for an 86 t4 and yup, same part #. Weird. Can you post any pics of the spring that caused the damage, maybe side by side with your old one for comparison? Is it the spring that attaches the bottom of the shoes together?
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

Its the lower, or "anchor" spring according to FSM.
20230301_180210.jpg
I ended up robbing another brake kit I had for a spring similar to the original.
20230301_180235.jpg
...and ordered a pair of drums to replace these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Comoxvalleyterc
My tercel:: 1988 4wd tercel wagon, manual trans. No mods yet just keeping it moving

Post by Comoxvalleyterc »

UNBELEIVABLE. I had the same thing just happen. took my time putting every thing together and then... metal on metal. what the hell. just from moving it around the drive way it turned a perfect groove into my rotor. thats exactly it. its that lower spring appears to stick out too far. me and my friend couldnt believe what we were looking at.