14 IN mud tires

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

14 IN mud tires

Post by MrWrench »

Hey all, just thought I'd share an aggressive mud tire I recently purchased.
They are called "Mini Digger" and are sold by a Canadian tire company.

Some quick specs are:
Dimensions: 23.5x7x14 (175/65/14
Thread depth: 19/32 inch
Capacity: 1100 lb / tire (4400 lb total)
4 PLY
Speed rating: 190 km/h or 118 mp/h

A side by side comparison for the height of these Mini Diggers with a set of 185/70/R14 Forceum ATZ-R All Terrain tires are nearly the exact same. There's an inch more width on the mud tires over the ATZ-Rs
PXL_20230225_213852233.MP.jpg
PXL_20230225_213734591.MP.jpg
PXL_20230225_213907219.MP.jpg
Mini Digger = 8 inch wide
PXL_20230225_213913271.MP.jpg
Forceum ATZ-R = 7 inch wide

They have both "Off-road only" and "DOT approved" versions. I purchased the "off-road only" set for $400CAD/$293. They were shipped to my door at a total of $405

Here is the website with more information. link:
https://mini4x4.ca/store/index.php?rout ... i%20digger

https://mini4x4.ca/store/en/suzuki-carr ... 7x14-p619/

I briefly tested them out on ThunderBucket, my lifted 84 SR5, at my friends field. I drove them at speeds as high as 75MPH on my way there and they did great on the dry pavement. There's definitely some road noise, as expected. But it is not obnoxiously loud in my opinion. It is a low "hum" that is not very noticeable. I think my electronic fuel pump in my other Tercel is louder.

Here is a picture and a short video of me crawling in 1st gear through some mud at my friends place. Unsurprisingly, they did fantastic!
I don't think these tires would clear easily without a lift. But for you guys who like mud bogging and have beater field cars, these might be a reasonably inexpensive and fun option to try!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
PXL_20230225_165112777.MP.jpg
https://youtube.com/shorts/U_ZPCGy9lro?feature=share
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: 14 IN mud tires

Post by SynthDesign »

Win!
Thanks for sharing! Lookin to see if I can find those stateside or if I have to run up north.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
RootsandStars
My tercel:: '85 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4 All stock and waiting for upgrades and improvements!

Post by RootsandStars »

Some folks are saying if you mess with the factory size tires you will loose clearance and it could eventually mess up your drive train...can it wear wheel bearings out? could it mess up 4x4 ?
I really like the looks of the 14s and they are more available than stock 13s but I am reluctant to put on 14s as I do not want to cause long term damage AND I do not have a shop to adjust the car if needed.

What do you all think? Can I put on 14s without doing any adjustment on the car?
~ Danielle ~
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

There are no issues with swapping different sizes of tires and wheels on, as long as

a) all four (and the spare) are the same size
b) the tires and wheels clear the brakes, inner fender, etc

If you search on here for bigger tires and wheels you will find probably the vast majority of people have played with bigger sizes. My 4wd Tercel with stock suspension (aka no lift) came with 185/70r14's on it and there is no rubbing or anything like that. I think they look a little too big so once they wear out I will go with 185/65r14's.

Doing lifts on the car can cause increased wear to the CV axles and rear axle. It's best to drop the subframe and whatnot down the appropriate amount so that the axle joints are being strained, but you don't need to do a lift to run larger tires and wheels.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Danielle,

Good points from David. I would guess over half of us have upgraded to 14” wheels. I lifted my car and have been running taller 14’s for 70k miles or more without issue. It makes sense that the front half-shafts might not last as long when lifted, but I’ve put 100k miles on the “original” passenger half-shaft w/o issue. Lifting shouldn’t hurt the rear at all, possibly put a tiny more stress on the drive shaft, but that’s it.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain