RWD swap - Correct me if im wrong!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
BL8R29
My tercel:: 1985white

RWD swap - Correct me if im wrong!

Post by BL8R29 »

so forgive me im new here!

but it seems like theres a couple threads about the rwd swap but none of the threads ive seen show a car thats "finished"

theres the verve racing one but that chassis seems pretty modded

any builds thAT are finished on here, and not much modification needed?

or is this a "lots of fabrication" fabrication type swap

best

brennan
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Re: RWD swap - Correct me if im wrong!

Post by Nordical25 »

I have heard of one RWD Tercel on ice here in Finland. Owner just pulled off front drive shafts and chose 4wd mode. However I don't know how road safe is Tercel 4wd without front drive shafts. You would need to leave inner part of front drive shafts into gearbox but that is the easiest "RWD" mod on Tercel 4wd.

I guess that second easiest one could be AE86 SR5 gearbox mounted to original engine. I think that you can even use original Tercel rear axle but you may need to get a custom made prop-shaft.

But it all depends what is your goal with that mod? Need more power or just for fun?
BL8R29

Post by BL8R29 »

Ya! I want to drift a tercel! 4age and rwd trans and mr2 spindles in the front is what i heard but havent found a finished car anywhere
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Well, RWD drift Tercel would be something new. The rally Tercel you mentioned is only manufactured RWD Tercel I know.

There are many reasons why such RWD Tercel is not a common choice at all. Firstly Tercel was designed for carburetor engines. It means that getting 4age to Tercel 4wd causes already a lot of work. This webpage includes some 4age swaps, which gives you a list of things to do if you search 4AGE swap.

Second reason is that Tercel is four wheel drive car with diff locks, which offers better offroading capabilities than RWD. Therefore, instead of building a drifter you can do already offroading and/or drifting on slippery conditions without any modifications:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_fDeu3SfTY

Third reason is price and spare part availability. Would drifting Tercel be your number one build if you would have spare AE86 4AGE engine and gearbox? They did make E70 corolla station wagon RWD and that is a more common one to have 4AGE engine at least in my country because it has already RWD driveline. In other words, it would be easier to convert a RWD Corolla station wagon to a drifter since you have already right type of gearbox, engine mounts etc.

All in all, there are many reasons why RWD 4AGE Tercel is not most common choice for drifting. That being said, you can still build one. But there are cheaper and easier choices for a RWD drifter project.
BL8R29

Post by BL8R29 »

viewtopic.php?t=12716

heres a thread of someone that started... but stopped documenting - i've PMed them

all I mean is is there any threads or members of this site who have completed a RWD swap , other than the verve racing build

thanks!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I’ve been here a while and seen this question a few times, but I don’t think there is much here. Bailey Sims had/has a lowered Tercel on air bags, but I’m pretty certain he stuck with the 4wd.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain