Fuel questions

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
homedoc911
My tercel:: 1993 toyota tercel stock no mod

Fuel questions

Post by homedoc911 »

I purchased a 93 2 door tercel std with 1k mileage for 800$. It's in pretty good shape. The only rust is (minor) around the wheel wells. I did a ton of work to the engine. It's a project car so I am restoring the old girl. Got it running great. I refurbished some of the interior so far. After sitting for awhile I went to start it and it just cranks. I replaced the coil and still won't run. I did a om's test on the fuel pump and it didn't pass. I need to do further testing. I am not yet convinced it's the pump. When I was cracking it I could smell gas fumes in the engine compartment. If anyone has any thoughts reach out to me. I am an old mechanic from back in the 70-80s when cars had carb, points etc. I turned wrenches for ford back in the late '70s. Oh also I did own a 84 or so 2 door hatch back tercel. Great car. Easy to work on. Regret getting rid of it. Thanks for reading this post.
homedoc911

Re: forum

Post by homedoc911 »

IMG_20220730_134410179.jpg
homedoc911 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:30 pm I purchased a 93 2 door tercel std with 1k mileage for 800$. It's in pretty good shape. The only rust is (minor) around the wheel wells. I did a ton of work to the engine. It's a project car so I am restoring the old girl. Got it running great. I refurbished some of the interior so far. After sitting for awhile I went to start it and it just cranks. I replaced the coil and still won't run. I did a om's test on the fuel pump and it didn't pass. I need to do further testing. I am not yet convinced it's the pump. When I was cracking it I could smell gas fumes in the engine compartment. If anyone has any thoughts reach out to me. I am an old mechanic from back in the 70-80s when cars had carb, points etc. I turned wrenches for ford back in the late '70s. Oh also I did own a 84 or so 2 door hatch back tercel. Great car. Easy to work on. Regret getting rid of it. Thanks for reading this post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

just cause you smell fuel doesnt mean its building enough pressure to run. i would shoot some starting fluid in the intake and see if she wants to start. if it does, then its the pump.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
homedoc911

Post by homedoc911 »

Thanks for the reply SirFoxx. Greatly appreciate the advice. I will try that first.
Peace out. ✌️.