Turbo 4age tercel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Turbo 4age tercel

Post by Petros »

that is a lot of fine effort and expense going into a funky old econo-box of a car. that will really be something unique, and quite the sleeper!

I am curious what a "DIY megasquirt" is that you are using. it is homemade? can you make one inexpensively? or it is modified megasquirt (that is not particularly economical over using a factory ECM from picknpull).

Also, how difficult it is to adapt the coil-on-plug ignition system from the Yaris? I have a long neglected 4age swap project for a T4wd in my garage, that I have been mulling over fuel and ignition alternatives (I already have a corolla GTS fuel tank to install in it). I was going to install a first gen MR2 ECM in it, and the stock 4age distributor, to get it running. but up dating the ignition to eliminate the distributor would be a great up grade, saves weight, complexity and improved performance. Being able to optimize the EFI for better low end torque and improved economy would also be a great. If it takes a lot of fiddling and tinkering I may just save it for later, because I may never get it done, unless it is a fairly easy upgrade.

your efforts are inspiring to those of us who struggle to just keep our old econoboxs running.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

Petros wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:45 pm that is a lot of fine effort and expense going into a funky old econo-box of a car. that will really be something unique, and quite the sleeper!

I am curious what a "DIY megasquirt" is that you are using. it is homemade? can you make one inexpensively? or it is modified megasquirt (that is not particularly economical over using a factory ECM from picknpull).

Also, how difficult it is to adapt the coil-on-plug ignition system from the Yaris? I have a long neglected 4age swap project for a T4wd in my garage, that I have been mulling over fuel and ignition alternatives (I already have a corolla GTS fuel tank to install in it). I was going to install a first gen MR2 ECM in it, and the stock 4age distributor, to get it running. but up dating the ignition to eliminate the distributor would be a great up grade, saves weight, complexity and improved performance. Being able to optimize the EFI for better low end torque and improved economy would also be a great. If it takes a lot of fiddling and tinkering I may just save it for later, because I may never get it done, unless it is a fairly easy upgrade.

your efforts are inspiring to those of us who struggle to just keep our old econoboxs running.
Sorry peter, I didnt see your reply.

the diy megasquirt is for the person thats 100% competent using a soldering iron, and has a good setup, itll save you like $150-200 off the initial cost, at the risk of you putting it together correctly. The factory toyota ecu I dont think can handle boost whatsoever, unless you were to find a 4agze ecu (gooood luck).

If you are going COP, you need standalone ignition. The megasquirt can handle it, assuming you are able to give the ecu the required cam / crank signals. I am using a 36-1 cam input for mine, using the factory cam gear with one tooth ground off.

With the 4age, "optimizing" it for low end torque is not strictly an ecu problem, its mainly the cams. I've got custom cat cams in my 7age that lower the power band, and broaden it to be between 2500-6500 rpm, and its great. Though, if you truly want torque, I'd look into getting a stroker kit for the 7a engine.

Having fixed the ole mercedes and dumping the hyundai, I've been working on the turbo tercel again. I test fitted the COP kit, and found a radiator hose that'll work for the upper line.

I believe I have most of everything purchased to start the wiring. However, before I do that, I need to find two spots on the firewall to mount waterproof bulkhead connectors. The ecu cannot be in the engine bay, and I dont want to use grommets as if I ever have to disconnect the two, It'll be next to impossible to do so due to the parallel port plug the ecu has, and the 9000 connectors in the engine bay.

Next step that I want to do is change brake discs. I have dotted n slotted rotors from the yellow car, however, the wheel bearings need to get shimmed inside the knuckle, and said shims dont exist anymore (to get the rotor off, you have to pull the spindle, then press it back in. 0/10 awful design) As of right now, I cannot get the orange cars spindles off using a slide hammer, so I may just reuse the yellow cars spindles and have a machine shop make the shims at a later point.
20230118_202241.jpg
20230118_201205.jpg
20230118_200903_HDR.jpg
20230118_200626_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Nice updates. 4A-GE starts to look like engine from 2000's with coils on the top. Luckily Tercel has lots of space for those connector spots through firewall. I guess that they will depend just on placement of your ECU inside your car.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Nordical25 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:30 am Nice updates. 4A-GE starts to look like engine from 2000's with coils on the top. Luckily Tercel has lots of space for those connector spots through firewall. I guess that they will depend just on placement of your ECU inside your car.
Ehhhh not really. The particular bulkhead connectors I have require a flat surface for the seal to mount to, and the firewall is anything but flat. I have found one good spot, just need to find / make another. Plus, Theres not really all that much room since this car also still has all the AC components on the interior.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

SirFoxx wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:54 am Ehhhh not really. The particular bulkhead connectors I have require a flat surface for the seal to mount to, and the firewall is anything but flat. I have found one good spot, just need to find / make another. Plus, Theres not really all that much room since this car also still has all the AC components on the interior.
AC on 1st gen Tercel! I could have never imagined AC on 1st gen Tercel. Is it OEM one? If it is, you are the first one to tell me that 1st gen Tercel did get also an AC. Then I also start to understand why it is challenging to find a good spot for that connector.

Anyway that will be one luxurious 1st gen Tercel with AC and 4AGE. What else accessories it will get? Power steering, cruise control or possibly even Tacho?
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Nordical25 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:23 pm
SirFoxx wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:54 am Ehhhh not really. The particular bulkhead connectors I have require a flat surface for the seal to mount to, and the firewall is anything but flat. I have found one good spot, just need to find / make another. Plus, Theres not really all that much room since this car also still has all the AC components on the interior.
AC on 1st gen Tercel! I could have never imagined AC on 1st gen Tercel. Is it OEM one? If it is, you are the first one to tell me that 1st gen Tercel did get also an AC. Then I also start to understand why it is challenging to find a good spot for that connector.

Anyway that will be one luxurious 1st gen Tercel with AC and 4AGE. What else accessories it will get? Power steering, cruise control or possibly even Tacho?
Yes, AC was an option on the first gens, and its fairly common, depending on the climate the car came from. Of the four first gens ive own(ed), only one didnt have AC as it was a complete base model.

The sr5 1st gens came standard with a tach cluster, larger three spoke steering wheel, and a special shift knob. I have both the wheel and cluster, which will be getting put into the turbo 4age hatch.

power steering...while I do like the manual rack, I think once the car is running, I will convert to an electric prius column. They are pretty easy to install, and with it being a toyota part, my 1st gen sr5 steering wheel should theoretically fit!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Got the iac valve installed. The factory 4age one was a weird wax based thermostat valve, which in theory works, but I've heard that they get kind of questionable with age. Also, with me switching to a standalone fuel and spark management system, I need to be in control of the IAC. I am using one from a Ford 4.6 modular with adapter plates to suit. The bracket is super ugly as my fabrication skills are pretty bad, and the settings on the welder got all messed up by my roommate.

Also also, welded the fuel pressure regular bracket under the shock tower. I was not happy with how I had it a fixed with a bolt, and welding it will not be a detriment either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

You had really great options then on 1st gen Tercel. I have never seen even Tacho on European ones. It could exist on some few ones but most cars come without tacho for sure. Prius electric column sounds interesting. Hopefully we will see also incoming pictures of that when your project proceeds further.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Nordical25 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 pm You had really great options then on 1st gen Tercel. I have never seen even Tacho on European ones. It could exist on some few ones but most cars come without tacho for sure. Prius electric column sounds interesting. Hopefully we will see also incoming pictures of that when your project proceeds further.
There were a few other options, such as the "chrome package", pop out rear windows, carpet, etc. The tach was exclusive to the sr5 hatch. Also, fun fact. The DLX hatchbacks had a tripometer, whereas the two and four-door sedans did not even though the clusters are otherwise the same.

Rolled the turbo project outside so I could work on another car in the meantime. Trying to get said car -- '86 Lincoln Continental -- ready for when my dad visits in a few weeks. Need similar work to what my Mercedes need--front end replacement, engine maintenance, etc. Nothing too major.
20221217_154602_HDR.jpg
20230128_154627_HDR.jpg
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

SirFoxx wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:53 pm
Nordical25 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 pm You had really great options then on 1st gen Tercel. I have never seen even Tacho on European ones. It could exist on some few ones but most cars come without tacho for sure. Prius electric column sounds interesting. Hopefully we will see also incoming pictures of that when your project proceeds further.
There were a few other options, such as the "chrome package", pop out rear windows, carpet, etc. The tach was exclusive to the sr5 hatch. Also, fun fact. The DLX hatchbacks had a tripometer, whereas the two and four-door sedans did not even though the clusters are otherwise the same.

Rolled the turbo project outside so I could work on another car in the meantime. Trying to get said car -- '86 Lincoln Continental -- ready for when my dad visits in a few weeks. Need similar work to what my Mercedes need--front end replacement, engine maintenance, etc. Nothing too major.

20221217_154602_HDR.jpg
20230128_154627_HDR.jpg
Ok, then I understand well why hatches are so tempting ones.

You seem to have many vehicles from that era. It is good since you start to learn several alternative technical solutions for your custom builds. I learned also a bunch of tricks from my Kadett project like adjusting ignition to my Tercel projects.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Nordical25 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:04 pm
SirFoxx wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:53 pm

20221217_154602_HDR.jpg
20230128_154627_HDR.jpg
Ok, then I understand well why hatches are so tempting ones.

You seem to have many vehicles from that era. It is good since you start to learn several alternative technical solutions for your custom builds. I learned also a bunch of tricks from my Kadett project like adjusting ignition to my Tercel projects.
the newest car i currently own is from '86 -- my 7age t4wd and the lincoln :D

having worked on a handful of different cars you quickly learn that the concept is the same, but execution is wildly different. Example, the water pump on the tercel is held on with three easy bolts, whereas on the lincoln every single gosh darn accessory and bracket has to come off the change the pump :evil: luckily mine is still doing okay for now...

opel kadettes are awesome! you should post some pictures if you have any!
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

It is great to hear that you still manage to get around in 80's cars. I agree, execution in different cars can be very different. Therefore I consider a Kadett or a VW beetle a good beginner car to start wrenching. Tercel is a bit more challenging but still not as complex as fully equipped Lincolns.

I can definitely post later some Kadett pictures to off topic section. I could make a comparison between Tercel and Kadett to show differences and similarities when it gets a bit warmer weather. Kadett is a nice little road car meanwhile Tercel is a bit more roomy offroad car.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Back to it.

These are the waterproof bulkhead connectors I was going to use.. But I think it's better to reuse the factory grommets. Not sure why I didn't think of this before...

Also need to sort a throttle cable. Bought a third gen tercel cable, but the sheeth is too long. Hmmm...
20230215_202531.jpg
20230215_202522.jpg
20230215_202510.jpg
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Well, made an alternator bracket and welded it to the motor mount. The first gen's use a stamp steel motor mount whereas a second genes are cast so I can well to it safely. Now I got to find a belt, and figure out how to run the lower coolant line. Probably need to find an elbow or something due to how close the lower coolant feed is to the alternator.

Also here's the wiring loom that I ran through the body. One of them may get switched through the driver side of the car for the power distribution whereas the other harness is for fuel and spark. We'll see.
20230220_213721.jpg
20230220_213738_HDR.jpg
20230220_215301_HDR.jpg
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Got the alternator sorted, except for the wiring, which will just need extending.

The lower bracket isn't perfectly aligned--it needs to get rotated a hair to be perfect. The angle of the picture makes it seem worse than it is. This should have been done before dropping the engine in, but hindsight is 20/20, and my vision is far from that lol. The v belt should be able to take up the slop, but for how long is the question.

Also with the upper bracket, my fabrication skills aren't great, but they get the job done.
20230226_013505_HDR.jpg
20230226_013453_HDR.jpg
20230226_013440_HDR.jpg