Temp gauge reads very low with hot engine

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Familyguy78
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Sr5, Fed emission but no cat converter. Manual transmission, with air conditioning.

Temp gauge reads very low with hot engine

Post by Familyguy78 »

After removing my carb to try to rebuild it, I notice my temp gauge reads very low, like barely above cold, but my cooling fan kicks on. What is going on here? I don't want to overheat my engine!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Temp gauge reads very low with hot engine

Post by dlb »

Is the wire for the temp gauge connected? It clips onto the little metal tab at the front of the engine, near the TVSV.
Familyguy78
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Sr5, Fed emission but no cat converter. Manual transmission, with air conditioning.

Post by Familyguy78 »

Yes, the wire is connected, and the connection is clean. I'm wondering if the sensor itself is the issue. My coolant is clean and fairly dark green, maybe I need to drain some off and add distilled water to the system.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Yeah, my guess would be the sensor or the gauge. I can't remember if the FSM has a test procedure for the sensor, like how many ohms it should be at certain temps. I would look into that first.