Proud new owner of a used '97 Tercel DIESEL!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Obi Wan Trifoli
My tercel:: '97 Sport CE Diesel 1.5

Proud new owner of a used '97 Tercel DIESEL!

Post by Obi Wan Trifoli »

322247785_751431582988267_2460018526949117017_n.jpg
Just yesterday I acquired this oldie, that's a rare-goody! I still feel so excited that I had to make a post to let other tercel fans know :)
It's a 97 Tercel CE Sport Diesel with a 1.5 n diesel engine.
Has no airbags, which is interesting beacuse I read it was standard for airbags in Tercels. BUT, I also read in Canada, they were not mandatory until '99.

I will start off with what I know: Purchased used in Burnaby, B.C. from the 2nd owner since 4 years. He did not know a whole lot about the car, other than he liked that it was Diesel, and had the starter replaced as well as all of the brakes and the battery, that's all. OH and funny enough, it was broken into twice, and the ignition plastic covering is cracked due to the attempted theft, but they couldn't actually start it. Seller also claims this was stock Diesel, from the dealership. - This is what I find odd, because when I do a simple search of the VIN, it says gasolene/petrol. As shown from a basic VIN search online:
Engine: 1L NA I4 double overhead cam (DOHC) 16V Fuel Type: Gasoline Fuel Tank Capacity: 11.0 Gal. Cylinders: 4 Engine Displacement: 1.5 L Fuel Induction: Fuel Injection Cam Type: DOHC Valves: 16 Engine Power: 93 HP at 5400 RPM Engine Torque: 100 ft-lbs at 4400 RPM Weight to Power Ratio: 21.9 lbs/hp **(These are not the current or correct specs of the diesel)

Also, the status of this car upon registering in BC was: Rebuilt, meaning it was once a salvage. Meaning it was in an accident prior. This is when I am going on a limb to assume an engine swap was done from petrol to the diesel. Also, anyone else think the "Diesel" decal at the back looks not stock?
I will admit I haven't had enough time to do more inspecting but it seems right now the only issues I have are that there is a lot of condensation in the rear window even when I have the hot air on, and, that I don't hear anything from the turbo. (Seller told me he is not sure if it works). The ODO reads 260,000 kms but that may have been from previous gas engine, if that was stock.

I still have to order a more thorough report incl salvage status and accident repair past to find out the details.
Odd thing that happened the day of purchase was the battery light flickering at the red light, then it needed a boost to start up again even after driving for 30 mins. I assume it is either the starter, alternator or battery. But today it was starting just fine and no battery light at all

Pros: It is so fun to drive, it's strong, stiff suspension and does not leak oil, or show any black smoke from exhaust.
I feel like the only one in Canada with this vehicle. From my searches, the only diesel ones to be found used, for sale are in Malta.

I would LOVE to hear back about any experience/questions/tips or tricks re: these small diesel toyotas. Question for all you: How rare is the AWD tercel, and how fun would that be!!! along with a manual transmission!

Quickly about me: I love 90's cars, just getting back into this one now.. AND, have had many mercedes 190d (baby benz) that I miss! As well once a rusted out toyota bj60 landcruiser, that didnt last more than 6 months after buying it used from Nova Scotia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Obi Wan Trifoli on Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Proud new owner of a used '97 Tercel DIESEL!

Post by dlb »

Welcome to the forum, obi wan. This is specifically a 1983-1987 4wd tercel wagon forum but we are always open to interesting news in other cool older cars. If you search here on the forum for diesel you will probably find a few threads by people who were working on diesel swaps. I don't remember anyone completing the swap though.

Your pictures didn't show up, try again because I'm curious to see your car.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Welcome to the site,

This forum is predominantly for the 2nd gen Tercels, particularly the 4WD wagons. But we’re a reasonably diverse group and your car looks great. I can’t believe how clean the engine bay is. The diesel engine (1n OR 1n-t) has been discussed as the nearest fit to our 2nd gen Tercels. One fellow imported a 1n-t, but life and COVID has derailed the project.

Pictures look good to me.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Obi Wan Trifoli
My tercel:: '97 Sport CE Diesel 1.5

Post by Obi Wan Trifoli »

Thanks for the responses, I wasn't 100% sure if this site was mainly for 4wd tercels, which from the look of it are mainly from the 80s! How cool they're still kicking around. Toyota quality I suppose 😎 Chris, do you know where this member imported it from? Japan I assume?
I was looking into posting on another major Toyota fan club forum, but it wasn't specific to Tercel, so, I felt this site would be where more of the die hard collectors would be.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

OWT,

Yes, he imported from Japan, but it was a mess. Wrong/damaged engine first time, months later to get the correct engine. I need to email him, it’s going on a year i believe since I last reached out. I assume your car isn’t sporting the turbo? Curious where you got your HP/torque numbers, they seem nearer the turbo model output.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Unique car. Yes, I also believe a non turbo diesel would struggle to have that hp but should also have more torque.

I don't believe this is a JDM car as why would the stearing wheel be on the left? - all JDM cars except rare imports are RHD.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms