I need to ship a transmission.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
monkeykongking
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel FWD Automatic

I need to ship a transmission.

Post by monkeykongking »

I finally located a used transmission from a junkyard in Oklahoma, need to ship it to Los Angeles.

What company do you recommend to ship a transmission across the US?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: I need to ship a transmission.

Post by xirdneh »

I hear fastenall does third party shipping
I shipped one from Washington state to los angeles once for 104 bucks at UPS.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have used Fed-Ex freight for shipping an engine, cost was okay but service was really shit. I was given a written quote, but when I showed up at the shiping depot, they igored my quote and they wanted more money (it did not matter I had it the quote in writing), they would not take it without the higher payment. To ad insult to their poor customer servvice, they never delivered it to the final destination. I was flying to a distant city to install the engine, I arrived but it did not, so kept calling to find out where it was, they claimed it was delivered. After many calls to their several depots, it was in their "undeliverable" room at a depot across town. I had to drive there and pick it up myself. they had no explanation why it was put there, but I suspect the delivery driver did not want to pick up the box (I offered to put handles on the box, but they said they would charge more if I did that). it was only 80 lbs (it was a rebuilt aluminum short block, I took the rebuilt head as luggage), I needed both to install the rebuilt engine. So I suspect the lying FED Ex delivery driver put "delivered" on his manifest and instead put it in their "undeliverable" dead package store room, clerarly did not give a shit about the customer. I demanded a refund, since it took them a week to find it and I had to pick it myself (I paid for 3rd day delivery). The depot said to talk to customer service...after many letters and phone calls ,I always ignored, no one gave a shit about their major screw ups and lies, so I eventually gave up. My time was not worth talking to an indifferent corporate wall. They are all liars, even their advertising slogan claims customers come first. Despite the incompetence and lies, it was still the cheapest way to ship it. you can do better I think perhaps with Grey Hound freight. it only takes several days, but you have to drop it off, and pick it up at their depots. Usually there is one not far unless you live in a rural area.

You will want to remove all of the unnecessary external parts to save weight, it should be hard mounted in a solid crate, but most shippers charge extra for a wood box, so I wrapped mine in card board. As noted above they did not want handles, even though that may have gotten it delivered.

You just have to go to the various shippers and get an estimate for shipping a heavy package. prices change, so does what they are willing to ship.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Would there be any local Oklaholma companies that ship freight to California? Sometimes you could get lucky and find a local smaller transport company to haul a gearbox with a reasonable price.