WTB Brake adjuster levers

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Familyguy78
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Sr5, Fed emission but no cat converter. Manual transmission, with air conditioning.

WTB Brake adjuster levers

Post by Familyguy78 »

I'm sorry for being a lame-o. If anyone had these they could part with, I'd be very grateful.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: WTB Brake adjuster levers

Post by NWMO »

F/G,

I assume you are looking for the rear drum brake adjusting “cylinders” with the “star” wheel?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Familyguy78
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Sr5, Fed emission but no cat converter. Manual transmission, with air conditioning.

Post by Familyguy78 »

Hi Chris! No I'm looking for the levers that touch the star wheels.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Gotcha, I will see what I have.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
mrdance123
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 and 85 4wd wagons

Post by mrdance123 »

are these them?
one for each side
Screen-Capture-3545.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 T4 Speedy Blue, SR5, 270-312k, operational R12 A/C, in use.
84 T4 Curmudgeon Copper, 188-294k, my first T4 in 1990, now Dad's daily driver.
RIP - 84 T4 Foxy Blue, 256-288k, engine died 2021, sold to PNP
Sold: 86 T2 Silver, VIN ending 5847, 194k, cherry condition, now in a good home.
RIP - 83 T4 Smokin' Gold, 270k, rusted out body, parted & scrapped
RIP - 84 T4 Quicksilver SR5, 125k, blown engine no oil, had sat 10+ years, parted & scrapped.
RIP - 80 Corolla (purchased new), 0-473k, 358k original engine, rear-ended totaled in 2003.
Familyguy78
Advanced Member

Post by Familyguy78 »

Somehow those look different than what's in my wagon. The narrow part that touches the star wheel I'm pretty sure should be longer than pictured, and I don't remember them being connected to the brake cable portion. It's been a while since I've seen the inside of the drum brakes. I am trying to make the car solid again for my daughter's to drive it. I had to wrap little pieces of steel around the star adjusters to keep them from adjusting too short, because the parking brake lever would point towards the ceiling and not do anything. A long time ago, my family took our adventure mobile on a gold mining road and I experienced hydraulic failure and had to use the hand brake to get us safely back down the mountain, and I'm pretty sure this is what broke the adjusters
mrdance123
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 and 85 4wd wagons

Post by mrdance123 »

These parts look very different disassembled, as compared to when installed.

I'm also surprised how short it looks,
it's tucked beneath other things, and the whole part cannot be seen clearly when installed.

My parts are from an '84 or '85 wagon, and I think all years were the same 83-87.

Take apart only one side at a time,
leaving the other side as a reference for re-assembly,
despite them being a reversed mirror image of each other.

See the shop manual page image below,
it shows both parts coming off the brake shoe together,
the star wheel adjusting ratcheting lever, and the parking brake cable lever.
Screen-Capture-3550.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 T4 Speedy Blue, SR5, 270-312k, operational R12 A/C, in use.
84 T4 Curmudgeon Copper, 188-294k, my first T4 in 1990, now Dad's daily driver.
RIP - 84 T4 Foxy Blue, 256-288k, engine died 2021, sold to PNP
Sold: 86 T2 Silver, VIN ending 5847, 194k, cherry condition, now in a good home.
RIP - 83 T4 Smokin' Gold, 270k, rusted out body, parted & scrapped
RIP - 84 T4 Quicksilver SR5, 125k, blown engine no oil, had sat 10+ years, parted & scrapped.
RIP - 80 Corolla (purchased new), 0-473k, 358k original engine, rear-ended totaled in 2003.
Familyguy78
Advanced Member

Post by Familyguy78 »

Sorry for taking so long. This weekend, maybe as early as Friday, I will be able to pull a drum and have a look. My carb rebuild kit just arrived, it's been almost 10 years since doing this, and there's way more parts than I remember
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Familyguy78 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:54 pm My carb rebuild kit just arrived, it's been almost 10 years since doing this, and there's way more parts than I remember
I just rebuilt my first tercel carb in a long time too, and I found the kit had way more pieces than our carb needed. The kit is for a handful of carbs so that's why there are so many extra things in there, but I wish they could separate them or label some of the things better. For example, it was difficult to tell which tiny o-rings were for the fuel cut solenoids -- there were a few and they all fit so I just guessed. The ones I put on seemed a bit smaller than the ones that were on the carb. Actually, now that I think about it I wonder if that's the cause of the high idle I can't get rid of. Good thing I kept the old o-rings (which seemed fine), I'll try swapping them back on.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey David,

I’ve always assumed the solenoids were pretty much off/on for safety? I wouldn’t suspect that o-ring to change idle, but I could be wrong. Even when cleaned, I’ve found some of the shafts to stick or catch slightly (not fully closing) that make setting low idle a little trickier.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain