Front wheel hubs/bearings

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Cadendoo22
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota tercel sr5 4wd

Front wheel hubs/bearings

Post by Cadendoo22 »

I'm thinking my wheel bearings need replacing. After looking at the process for replacing those I'm thinking it would be easier to just replace the whole hub as I don't have access to a press or any means of pressing a bearing in and out. Is there any way to buy the whole front hub with bearing in place and ready to go?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Front wheel hubs/bearings

Post by NWMO »

Cade,

I can’t say for sure, but I doubt the whole assembly can be found new. You can get the bearings and then remove the hub assembly. Take hub assembly and new bearings to a machine shop and they should be able to take it from there.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Post by Mogordo »

Also some auto repair shops will press it if you bring the whole steering knuckle and new bearing. The hub also has to be pressed in some fashion to remove it from the steering knuckle. I ended up doing the one for my Tercel myself but prior to that for other cars three different shops had done the pressing for me if I took the pieces in. When I looked online I didn't find the hub new, just the bearings, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.
Cadendoo22

Post by Cadendoo22 »

I've been trying to search the internet for what front wheel bearings I need exactly. I've heard from this forum that the KOYO ones seem to be the best but I can't find a single example of them for sale anywhere. I've also seen that some bearings are too wide (1.299 inches when they should be 1.21 or something similar) and all the bearings on rock auto are that wider width. I'm also not sure if I need more then just the bearing, the FSM has all the oil seals and races and such and I can't find any of those parts for sale either. Can someone point me in the right direction? Part numbers maybe, or maybe even the 1.299 bearings on rock auto are fine I just don't know very much about wheel bearings.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here is a copy of what I used from RA about a year ago. Bearing lists as 1.299 wide and worked fine. You will want the bearing and seals at a minimum. You may not need the ball joint, but I swapped mine at the same time.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Cadendoo22

Post by Cadendoo22 »

NWMO wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:26 pm Here is a copy of what I used from RA about a year ago. Bearing lists as 1.299 wide and worked fine. You will want the bearing and seals at a minimum. You may not need the ball joint, but I swapped mine at the same time.

Chris
Thank you so much!
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

A few years back, I purchased the 12 ton press from HF. I don't want to promote that store, because they have some junk too, but the press has been very useful.
Big bearing names like SKF, Timken, Koyo, and National may be the safest bet. The most important thing is careful installation. For a hub, press pressure should only be applied to the outer race. The smallest defect can cause early failure.
Cadendoo22

Post by Cadendoo22 »

Paul wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:31 am A few years back, I purchased the 12 ton press from HF. I don't want to promote that store, because they have some junk too, but the press has been very useful.
Big bearing names like SKF, Timken, Koyo, and National may be the safest bet. The most important thing is careful installation. For a hub, press pressure should only be applied to the outer race. The smallest defect can cause early failure.
Good to know thank you