JET - 2-way filter/valve??

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

JET - 2-way filter/valve??

Post by NWMO »

Hey friends,

The Rusty Frog is still my daily driver and doing fine. I am however, trying to improve my fuel mileage (21 mpg). From yhe FSM trouble shooting guide, I have found the JET to be plugged, moving no air either direction. I have no expectation that this will solve my issue, but was curious if anybody could direct me to a universal replacement. TIA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: JET - 2-way filter/valve??

Post by NWMO »

Here is a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

You might be able to get away with using something like this, which is available at most pet stores:

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aeration ... ries/A1172

It's normally used for regulating air flow in fish tanks. Looking at the test in the FSM, I'm not clear how the jet is actually supposed to work -- it says "check for stoppage" and the illustration makes it look like no air is passing when blown from either direction. But maybe it passes if it's sucked instead of blown? Now I'm curious and want to check mine today.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

The diagram (pic) indicates there should be air flow both ways, but it should be slightly less from dark to light (based on the indicated “cloud”)? I will likely take one apart, it seems there is a filter of some type included as well.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

Chris, have you found one yet? I probably have a used one I can test/send you if you need. Just cover shipping and it's yours.

Let me know!
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I carefully cut the “valve” in half. There appears to be a “cork” diaphragm on one side and I see some additional “cork” on the other side, once I removed the little metal cup. With it in the center (no hole, I made that) it would move no air. Once removed, I can blow air through it. I will likely try to find a pvc coupling to reconnect/seal the two halves and give it a try.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

The "jet" is just a small orifice that slows down the vacuum being applied to the choke breaker. The choke breaker slightly opens the choke by a few degrees on startup. Otherwise, if the choke is fully closed, there is not enough air in the mix and the engine will die right away. I've had the diaphragm in the choke breaker ruptured in mine before and the choke didn't open slightly and the car was difficult to start. The jet just makes the choke breaker open a bit slower (maybe in about 1 second or so instead of immediately). You could just put something in the vacuum hose that has a small hole in it that would act as a restriction just like the jet. I don't see how this would have anything to do with your fuel economy problems though.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Luke, David and Mark,

After removing the little metal cup and taping the two halves back together, it allowed some air through both ways. I put it back on and drove with it today. I can’t say that I was able to tell a difference, ran/runs fine. I just found it plugged and thought U should try to correct it. I found some online that would likely work, but if it drives fine I’m not gonna chase it further.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

It takes a hard blow to move air thru that one. It may be moving air but you cannot tell. I usually remove it and plug the hose.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Robert,

I removed the little metal cap and taped it back together (using electricians tape). It does move air both ways now, put it back on the car and no ill effects. Seems like it’s driving better, but can’t say for certain.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain