rock auto not the cheapest option anymore?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

rock auto not the cheapest option anymore?

Post by dlb »

Lately when I've been comparing prices between rock auto and my local parts places, I've found that even with the cheapest shipping options, Rock Auto costs the same amount as the local place, and sometimes more. For instance with shipping, a carb rebuild kit on RA comes to about $80, but I was able to get one here for $60. I'm in Canada so I imagine that's part of the problem but I wanted to see how prices compared for others here on the forum.
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Re: rock auto not the cheapest option anymore?

Post by Mogordo »

I think for me it depends on the part. I bought an inner tie rod end locally for around $19.00 as it was available next day. Looking on RA I see one "economy" option for $4.60 but otherwise they are upwards of $13.29 so only that one would be cheaper. I don't think I checked locally for cv axles this time around but a little over a year ago for a '90 Corolla the difference was pretty much. Maybe $50.00. I live in eastern Pennsylvania and some parts (like bellows that go from steering rack to inner tie rod end) just aren't cheaply available as even if a store can find them they mail order them too...
I think overall RA is often still cheaper for me but not sure.
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

I've been comparing prices between rock auto and parts avatar a lot, the beauty of parts avatar is that shipping is free over $50, so I got a gas tank through them for maybe 1/3 the cost of getting it shipped from rock auto. Their selection is much worse than rock auto however, and I have had to return some parts for being improperly assembled before. Still worth looking into as a Canadian car enthusiast, as I agree rock auto has been getting worse as of late.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I just bought a carb rebuilt kit from my local Autozone for $36, next day arrival and no shipping cost. rock auto was more for the basic kit, and much more with shipping, and many days to get it.

Always compare between different sources, sometimes rockauto has killer deals (at random), sometimes not, sometimes NLA, while the local NAPA can get it next day.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)