Charge and brake light on still after replacing alternator & voltage regulator

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
boranederek
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel Wagon (Standard)

Charge and brake light on still after replacing alternator & voltage regulator

Post by boranederek »

Hi so I own a 84 Tercel wagon and the brake and charge light are on after I have changed the alternator and voltage regulator and even fuses, I’m thinking it’s a wiring issue but anyone else have ideas of what it can be or have had the same problem and knows how to fix it!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Charge and brake light on still after replacing alternator & voltage regulator

Post by NWMO »

BD,

Oddly enough, it may just be low brake fluid.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
boranederek

Re: Charge and brake light on still after replacing alternator & voltage regulator

Post by boranederek »

NWMO wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:34 pm BD,

Oddly enough, it may just be low brake fluid.

Chris

I’ve checked and it’s full.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

welcome, boranederek. The charge and brake lights being on usually does indicate a problem with the alternator -- I assume you have double checked all the connections to make sure they are all secure? The belt is snug? My next guess after those would be a bad-out-of-the-box alternator or voltage regulator.
boranederek

Post by boranederek »

dlb wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:09 pm welcome, boranederek. The charge and brake lights being on usually does indicate a problem with the alternator -- I assume you have double checked all the connections to make sure they are all secure? The belt is snug? My next guess after those would be a bad-out-of-the-box alternator or voltage regulator.
I’ve already checked all of this too. My girlfriends dad is the one whom helps me
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I'd do a voltage check. Check the voltage on the battery when the car is shut off. It should be 12.8V or so. Then start the car and the voltage should jump to close to 14V. If it does that, the alternator is probably fine and it's probably a broken wire or corroded contacts in a wiring connection. If so, you could try wiggling the wiring and see if the lights go out.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Though not quite the same it may be worth mentioning
I once installed an external regulator alternator in an internal regulator car.
It was an accident but the plug did plug in even though it was different.
Took a while to figure out what i did
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
boranederek

Post by boranederek »

Found out what it was, wiring from the charge fuse into the dash went bad so had to re-do the whole entire wire but temporarily had a wire run from charge fuse to the engine fuse and it worked fine
Esaus
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 86 Tercel 1.5 Europe

Post by Esaus »

Hello! I have an issue with the charging circuit on my tercel. My issue is that the headlights also turn on when i put in the fuse for the charging circuit. What wire was in your case? I might be able to trace mine the same way. Is it the wire going to the ecu?
1986 Tercel 4WD, Red, 170000km, restored.
1987 Toyota Corolla Dlx hatchback, 250000km
1988 Toyota Corolla touring 4wd, estate yet to be restored
boranederek

Post by boranederek »

It’s the wire leading from the charge fuse inside to the car. But if you want a temporary fix. I recommend getting some extra wire and cut it to fit between the charge fuse and engine fuse and it’ll charge