Sun visor easy upgrade.

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Sun visor easy upgrade.

Post by Petros »

A few days ago I was getting some clean window visors from a 2wd Tercel, it seems like so many I see are falling apart I always try and get good ones when I find them (and it was a half off day at the local picknpull). As I was moving forward through the cars with my "new" visors I noticed a really clean '88 style Tercel. Many of the interior trim parts are the same (grab handles, dome light, radio, etc.) as our model Tercels, so I poked my head inside and took a look at the visors. They were also in great shape and like the earlier Tercel visors, but I noticed they were larger. I held the earlier style visors up against these later style and they were exactly the same, same mounts, etc. but were about an inch wider. So I purchased those instead, and I am going to try them in my '84 T4wd. It would have been also nice if the passenger mirror was larger, but the larger visor size will be a help when the sun makes its rare appearances around here.

So if you want a larger visor than all you have to do is locate some out of the '87-91 (3rd generation body style) Tercel.

BTW, I have several sets of good to excellent normal visors I will sell cheap if anyone needs them. PM for details.

Picture below, 2nd gen Tercel visors below ('83-86 or 4wd), 3rd gen on top. Both have black/white on each side, they look and mount the same, but the later ones are just larger.

'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ripstock34
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5 4X4

Re: Sun visor easy upgrade.

Post by ripstock34 »

Petros,

know this is an old post but wondering if you have any sun visors left that would match a brown interior. Mine have ballooned out and exploded orange cheeto dust all over the car!!
Current Yota's
1985 Tercel SR5 4x4
1977 Chinook Micro RV
1985 Toyota 4x4 Chinook w/ 2LT turbo diesel
1987 Toyota Sunrader 4x4
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have a number of extra sun visors, many in great condition, including the ones in the picture. All of the 2nd generation tercels (and corollas too) had sun visors that were off white on one side and a charcoal (dark blackish gray) on the other (like the ones in the picture above, color in the picture looks a bit darker than in real life). All of them are the textured vinyl.

I also have a set of '87 MR2 sun visors in a soft fuzzy brown fabric, they are identical in size and shape as the Tercel visors and should mount exactly in the same locations. The only difference is the covered on both sides with a medium/dark brown fabric, they are in great shape if I remember correctly. They are a slightly darker brown (I would describe it as a chocolate brown) than in the Tercel interior, but it should mount and look good in a Tercel.

Where are you located? How about $20 for the pair, plus shipping? I will have to dig them out of the box where they are stored.

I might also have some visors in usable condition but that have minor cracks in the corners where the vinyl became brittle. If you want those you can have them for just the shipping cost.
ripstock34

Post by ripstock34 »

That's awesome! If you still have the off-white and black vinyl pair out of the later model tercel that you said were a little larger I would take those. I'm in Alaska but if they will fit in a USPS flat rate box it shouldn't be more than $10 to ship them up. These haven't loosened up and ballooned out? Seems to be an issue with all of the ones I find in the junk yards up here.

Anyway, rather than advertise my address to the web on here, if you email me at ripstock@hotmail.com we can work out the details. Thanks.
Current Yota's
1985 Tercel SR5 4x4
1977 Chinook Micro RV
1987 Toyota Sunrader 4x4
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I only have one set of over sized ones, they are mounted in my car. All the others are stock sized. I do not think I have seen them swell up like you describe, I have seen decomposing foam come out of them however. It might have something to do with your cold weather perhaps, or all that midnight sun? Usually in the lower 48 the vinyl gets dried out and cracks up, particularly in the dry and hot desert states. All the ones I have saved are in good condition, might only need cleaning and perhaps Amorall or some other dressing to keep them soft.

The flat rate box is the way to ship them, I will have to see the smallest one I can get them to fit into. Any other parts you might need, I have lots of spare parts I have accumulated, and have access to two in the local wrecking yard right now.
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

We tried to MR2 ones and they were too long for the wagon, they hit the rear view mirror when trying to put them down to block the sun. They DID fit connection wise though, it was just the inability ro make them swing up and down reasonably that made us not use them. You could do it, but you'd be eternally adjusting the mirror.
ripstock34

Post by ripstock34 »

Ok,

No worries on the late model oversized ones. If you have some stock off white and black ones that are in good shape, I'll take them. There are a couple more parts I need as well. My rear view mirror inside the vehicle is sun damaged and the window side flakes off like snow because of it. Same with the long plastic off white trim that runs along the top of the windshield inside the car and tucks under the pillars. If you have the scoop on those you may be able to fit them in the box. Hit me up on my email and I can give you my mailing address and figure out the best way to pay you. Thanks a lot man. This may be the final upgrade to make this the coolest Tercel in Alaska.
Current Yota's
1985 Tercel SR5 4x4
1977 Chinook Micro RV
1987 Toyota Sunrader 4x4
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I might have a rear view miror you can have, I have to look. that plastic channel trim that goes at the leading edge of the headliner (at the windsheild) is a problem in sunny areas. Fortunately I can usually find good ones around here (where the sun does not shine much!). but that will be harder to ship, perhaps in a shipping tube would be the best way. I might even have one kicking around, I will have to check (if I find a good one at the wrecking yard I usually grab it).
ripstock34

Post by ripstock34 »

Sounds great! Car was originally from California, which explains the sun damage. If I get those items replaced I think that will take care of all of the damaged plastic in the whole car. Thanks, you've been a huge help.

One last thing, I did the inclinometer install posted by dlb but could only find a grey one from the junk yard when I was in Boise. If anyone can get there hands on a brown inclinometer cover. The car would be nearly complete.

Again, thanks for all your help, this site is great.
Current Yota's
1985 Tercel SR5 4x4
1977 Chinook Micro RV
1987 Toyota Sunrader 4x4
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

You are in luck. I found everything you need. Below is the picture of the parts, all could use a good cleaning (after being in a box in my garage for several years), but in fair to good condition.

The mirror plastic cover in the picture is brown, it is from an MR2 but it is identical in design, the mirror itself is in perfect shape (none of the reflective stuff is coming off like so many old mirrors), I also have the bone colored ones that come stock in the Tercel, the brown one will look good in I think in the brown interior on the Tercel (your choice). I don't have the square cover that goes over the screw side in the bone color, I might have it in the brown,likely you can use your old one.

let me know what you want. I can send the visors and mirrors in the medium flat rate box about $12.35, the headliner trim will have to go in a shipping tube, it should cost about $8 to ship. So total shipping will be about $20. in two packages Priority mail (2-3 day delivery), or I can put it all in a regular box and ship it ground parcel post for about $13 (4 to 7 days).
visors mirror and trim.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Reviving an old thread. Wondering if anyone else has found a larger visor that is a direct fit other than the 87-91 Tercel?