Winter Tercel Project

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
InSaneTercel87
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Winter Tercel Project

Post by InSaneTercel87 »

Hi, couple weeks back i bought two units for a very good price considering how many there are left in my country. So my plans are to get the "better" one fixed and inspected before winter and snow, and i know it will be a challenge as there are many things to do. I'll try to update as i make progress. Will take more pictures when i get the chance.

Things i've done so far.
-Got the car running after some head scratching
-Stole the whole interior from the other one
-Swapped some exterior panels
-Swapped carb from the other one

Next step is to get the brakes to work even a little bit so i can drive the car to other location where my welder and other tools are.
Feel free to ask questions if you have any. Any tips for a new Tercel owner is welcomed. :D
1664477863412.jpg
1664477863398.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: Winter Tercel Project

Post by SirFoxx »

check / replace the trans gear oil before driving somewhere. doenst take long for these transmissions to fail when they get low on oil.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

SirFoxx wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:32 pm check / replace the trans gear oil before driving somewhere. doenst take long for these transmissions to fail when they get low on oil.
+1, these transmissions were unique to this car so there are very few parts available for them now. Baby that thing. On that topic, there are a few big threads here about which brand of gear oil to use but the crucial thing is to use gear oil that is GL-4 or GL-5 and designed for hypoid gears. Look for those details in whatever you choose to use.

Also, be sure to check the front sway bar ends. They often get badly bottle necked where they pass through the control arms. If they snap while driving it is a very unpleasant surprise.
InSaneTercel87

Post by InSaneTercel87 »

Thanks for the tips, i will change the oil and check the sway bar ends when i get the car to the other location which is only about 3km away.
IMG_20220930_133108.jpg
IMG_20220930_133125.jpg
IMG_20220930_133136.jpg
IMG_20220930_133153.jpg
IMG_20220930_133210.jpg
Im little sad about those graphics on the side but maybe ill try to recreate those.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
InSaneTercel87

Post by InSaneTercel87 »

Little bit of an update, i got the car moved and got all the parts from the other one that i needed. Tried the points conversion kit and it works but it feels like the timing is extremely retarded but i can't check because i haven't found a timing light, also its not the number one priority at this point. Got the car lifted on a couple of tires so i can take a look of all the rust, its not a huge amount but its pretty bad because it turns out my frame rails are rusted at the front around the firewall are so ill have to figure it out. Also my rear upper shock mounts are gone so its gonna be a fun project. i will post more pictures when i remember to take them.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

I just noticed you are in Finland. There is another active member on this forum in Finland, their user name is Nordical25. You should get in touch with them in case you are able to help each other out with parts, tools, etc. Here is there profile page:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9275
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Hi InSaneTercel87,

I am the another active Finnish member. I can give you tips for parts if you need some advice.

Lets hope that you will get your car going well and fixed. It is also good that you have a spare car because some parts are getting more challenging to find.

It seems that your main project (green car) is 1985/1986 Tercel 4wd based on side lists and your spare part donor (silver car) is 1986/1987/1988 Tercel.

You can take photos of side decals and ask sticker shop to copy them before repainting your car. By doing this you will save your graphics for new paint surface.