clutch installation questions

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

clutch installation questions

Post by dlb »

I'm about to install the new clutch on my 83 but have a few questions about some of the details.

1) can I tap the pilot bearing into place in the flywheel or do I need to have it pressed in?
2) same thing but with the release bearing: can I tap it onto its retainer or does it need to be pressed on?
3) the FSM says to grease a bunch of places when installing a new release bearing but I don't understand all of them -- fork and fork lever contact points? Fork lever and bushings contact points? Fork lever and oil seal contact points? Clutch disc spline? The ones I understand and have done are the fork and hub contact points, inside of bearing retainer/hub, front of release bearing, and input shaft end.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: clutch installation questions

Post by xirdneh »

I tap the pilot bearing in with a socket just slightly smaller in diameter. Note the depth and make sure its is installed to depth.
The throw out bearing: i use a vise and a socket to press it on.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Ah heck. I removed the pilot bearing from the flywheel before I removed the flywheel, didn't even think to note its depth then. I thought it was just flush with the rear face of the flywheel.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I believe flush with the flywheel center should be fine.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Boy I was really out to lunch on this. I thought the pilot bearing was pressed into the flywheel, not the end of the crankshaft. I went to put it in the flywheel and was like "dang they put the wrong pilot bearing in this clutch kit," then I looked at the old one and realized something was amiss. You can tell it's been many years since I replaced a clutch. Oh, I also put the flywheel on before I realized I needed to put that plate back on that goes between the block and the flywheel. Holy moly.

Anyway, I noticed there is a beveled edge in the crankshaft where the bearing goes so I tapped the bearing in till the edge was flush with the start of the taper. Seemed to make sense, but before I put the trans back in can someone please let me know if that's going to be a problem? Many thanks.

I just remembered another thing that had me stumped. When I went to bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel, it wouldn't pop on over the guide pins in the flywheel -- the pins were a bit big. I tried tapping it on with a rubber faced mallet, tried different orientations but none made sense. Eventually I used its 12 mm mounting bolts to get it seated, working my way around just a few turns at a time until it was snug. Is that normal?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Pilot bearing should be fine. Clutch disc in? correct side out (in the FSM)? did you use an alinement tool?

When you install the PP, there is resistance due to the PP force on the clutch plate as well. That may be part of what you were noticing.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

NWMO wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:36 pm Pilot bearing should be fine. Clutch disc in? correct side out (in the FSM)? did you use an alinement tool?

When you install the PP, there is resistance due to the PP force on the clutch plate as well. That may be part of what you were noticing.
Yup, clutch installed flat side facing forward, with an alignment tool. I was scared to remove the alignment tool in case it slipped out of place, until I realized that once it's all done up, the pressure plate squeezes the clutch disc against the flywheel. Which now makes perfect sense with what you're saying about the pressure plate pushing back while it's being bolted on.

It's amazing how much I've forgotten over the years. I knew a lot of this stuff before but I guess if you only learned it, used it once, and never think about it again for 10 years, it makes sense that you would lose it.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

I loose things that I did yesterday...
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

For me, it was five minutes ago...